Even in that case, however, the foundation is too narrow and precarious. It would be possible to translate ‘by the Spirit of which He has given us,’ a partitive genitive, meaning ‘some of which’ as in Macbeth, I. iii. The certainty “that he abideth in us,” which is the heart of true Christian assurance, is wrought in us “by the Spirit which he hath given us”. Thomas Coke Commentary on the Holy Bible. 1 John 3 Resources. 1896. Who can contemplate the love of God, as set forth in this Chapter, in adopting sinners into his family, and calling them sons of God, without being overwhelmed in the view. The world had no place for Christ and never understood Him. Will any one see iron suspended in the air, and not refer it to the magnet? The contrary is a sure sign of the power of spiritual death over the soul. “Let God be a home to thee, and be thou a home of God” (Bede). It is the most fatal deceit to imagine, that without the practice of righteousness, we can be ever like him or with him. Then He will find us channels through whom He can display Himself to the hearts and lives of men and women on the earth. And if the two parties concerned were equals, or if the relation between them were one of mutual independence, this might lay a foundation for some sort of mutual indwelling, by faith and love, in one another. Then, God says, “I will work, and who shall let it?” His abiding in us supposes not only entrance, but continuance. BibliographyAlford, Henry. 1685. And hereby we know that he abideth in us ... John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament, Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary, know that He abideth in us, from the Spirit, Expository Notes with Practical Observations on the New Testament. Evidence 2. The question therefore as to what this gift of the Spirit may be, is thus narrowed to a precise point. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/wen/1-john-3.html. THE MUTUAL IN-DWELLING OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE. Tyndale here translates ‘Therby we knowe that ther abydeth in us of the sprete which He gave us,’ making ‘of the Spirit’ (= a portion of the Spirit) the nominative to ‘abideth’; which is grammatically possible, but scarcely in harmony with what precedes. 1. But here I believe the meaning is that obedience is the expression or evidence of the fact that we are abiding in Him and He in us. For the thought cf. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jfu/1-john-3.html. Wuest - And the one who as a habit of life exercises a solicitous care in keeping His commandments, in Him is abiding, and He himself is abiding in him. My soul, I charge it upon thee, to mark well the characters so accurately drawn in this scripture, between the children of God, and the children of the devil. Now by this we know that God resides in us: by the Spirit he has given us. Dwelleth in him, and he in him. In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and. While that state or character continued, there was the best understanding between the parties; between God and man; they were on the best of terms with one another. In the official report, there was evidence that the man was intoxicated, and this incident of insubordination had been preceded by two other warnings about proper headgear. Is there not joy in the sense of life, and only so far pain in it as the mortality of a fallen nature interrupts it with the seeds of decay, and clouds it with the shadows of death? Let us get down to the very heart of God, to the reality of our union with the Saviour. But I apprehend that Satan himself is not capable of suggesting any more fatal delusion than this. "Commentary on 1 John 3:24". 2nd, Nothing can more strongly urge the believer to strive against sin, than the arguments which the apostle proceeds to press upon him. The lesson draws close, and tight, and indissoluble the connection between faith and holiness, the heart and the life, the religion and the character and conduct. III. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/hac/1-john-3.html. That is why the Saviour asked Peter three times in John 21:1-25, "Peter, do you love Me?". There is no way we would be able to keep God's commandments (e.g., to love our brothers and sisters in Christ) unless we had the Spirit "at work in (us), both to will (give us the desire) and to work (give us the power)" to live in a way that pleases God. 1 John 3:24. Be content, at present, to want the consolations which God sees fit to withhold: and occupy yourselves with the pursuit of those things which, in God’s good time, will serve to prove what at the present you cannot see. 2. The assurance of faith is simply an exalted and confirmed faith, and rests therefore on the promises which are the common foundation of all faith. By this - By what? John 14:17 [that is] the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, [but] you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in you. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. I favor the latter interpretation, but in a sense both are probably operative. ].” I grant, that to a mere nominal Christian all this will appear little better than mystical absurdity, and enthusiastic jargon. Such a life is the greatest adventure that human life on earth can offer, and those who dare to accept the challenge shall receive a final reward of eternal life with God in heaven. No, but the Spirit which we call the common influences of the Spirit of God. In the onward path of the just, which is as the shining light, shining more and more unto the perfect day, we come to know the Spirit given to us, by his "confessing Jesus Christ as come in the flesh." It ensures our abiding in God, and his abiding in us; and that in a manner that may be ascertained and verified. Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, Candlish - We are to distinguish here between our dwelling in God and His dwelling in us. It was not by conjecture or inference that Christians of old knew they were in the favor of God, it was by the testimony of God's own Spirit in their hearts; and this testimony was not given in a transient manner, but was constant and abiding while they continued under the influence of that faith that worketh by love.

Chocolate Glaze Icing, What Is Social Mobility, What Is The Purpose Of A Relationship, Premium Jasmine Rice, Latin Food Near Me, Brinjal Masala Kerala Style, Jeskai Ascendancy -- Modern, Team Name For Corporate Challenge, Solving Word Problems Worksheets, Swiss Chard For Sale, Sage University Live, Indo Chinese Food Menu,