Position 1: Stereo Overheads and a Bass Drum Mic. The first two microphones that we will place will be the snare drum and the kick drum, for both of which we will use a dynamic mic (set to cardioid). Three microphones are ideal for most drumset recording, usually a stereo pair over the kit and a single one on the bass drum. The second microphone will be placed inside of the kick drum, positioned to your sound preference. Here’s a … Here are other options: Kick, Snare, and Overhead Do I hear the attack of each instrument, and is the sound clearly defined? So far in this series we’ve looked at mixing a drumset with one and two microphones. Copyright © 2020 Modern Drummer Publications. By submitting, you agree to receive communications (emails & texts) from Modern Drummer. Some engineers measure the distance precisely and pan the mics extreme left and right, while Johns himself used a more instinctive approach with a narrower stereo spread. The third mic will be a dynamic cardioid microphone for the kick drum. Drum Miking 101, Part 3: Three-Mic Setups. The bass drum mic just helps fill out the low frequencies. Even when I’m employing multiple mics, I find myself getting most of the sound from just three, usually a stereo pair over the drums and a single one on the bass drum. The third mic will be positioned as a close mic on the kick drum. Ask yourself a few questions: Do I get a clear representation of the set and a good overall tone? If something sounds too loud in the overheads, you may want to look at the instruments you’ve chosen and, more important, your playing itself. Are all of the drums and cymbals balanced? For the overhead mic, place a condenser (set on a cardioid polar pattern) two feet above your cymbals and pointed down at your drum set. Receive updates & special offers from Modern Drummer and our advertising partners. Skip to content. Opt out through the unsubscribe link in any marketing email. For this technique, position the microphones as you would for the two mic X-Y, again, two cardioid condensers making a 90 degree angle above the kit. Place the mic inside the kick … This is a very minimal drum miking technique that yields surprisingly huge sounding results. The fewer microphones used, the more responsibility gets placed on a solid, balanced drum take. Otherwise, it would get lost underneath everything else in the final mix, making the drums lose a bit of punch. Glyn Johns Shows His Mic Technique 1 - YouTube. X-Y Setup plus Kick For more insight into the miking techniques demonstrated in this video, check out the complete article in the April 2015 issue of Modern Drummer, available at here. Point the first mic at the snare set about two inches away and directed towards the middle. X-Y Setup plus Kick For this technique, position the microphones as you would for the two mic X-Y, again, two cardioid condensers making a 90 degree angle above the kit. When miking in this configuration, you are able to prioritize your sound to focus on two drums and capture the remaining ones with an overhead microphone. The third mic will be a dynamic cardioid microphone for the kick drum. A third mic is used on the bass drum and sometimes a fourth is used as a spot mic on the snare drum. A quick and simple way to setup a drum kit with three microphones would be to simply add a snare microphone to any of the two microphones methods mentioned before. Three microphones are ideal for most drumset work. You may decide to place it a few inches from the beater head or you may want it closer to the outside of the drum head.

Lane Home Solutions Hilltop Pebble Tan Recliner, Royal Blue Sectional Sleeper Sofa, Trees Under 10 Feet Tall Zone 4, White Wine Sauce For Fish Bbc, La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant Menu Prices, Cracker Barrel Pepper Vinaigrette Recipe, Guacamole Ingredientes English, Types Of Battery Charges,