If you just put a single, 4" port off-center and otherwise tune the drum the same way you did before, the drum really doesn't sound. +1 to the notion that if you’re going to be playing live frequently with varied sound people, having a hole makes life significantly easier. How Much Faster/Easier Is a Speed Cobra Bass Drum Pedal Really. WANTED: drums, cymbals, drum accessories, DrumChat.com - Chat about Drums, Drumming, Drumsets, Drummers, Drum Lessons and Percussion, If this is your first visit, be sure to I was going to put a port in the lower right corner of my bass, but I finally gave up. Definitely port your reso, but for an 18" kick I wouldn't make too big of a hole. The only rule is you must drink beer. doesn't tend to bounce as much off of the batter head, so you won't need as much technique in your right foot to make the bass drum sound good. But I play mostly live. And I do like a little bounce back from the pedal, I feel I'm more in control that way and I also think over muffling is wrong. I used to prefer ported, but now, I prefer no port. On my cheaper Accent kit the only ring I had left laying around was somewhat bigger so I decided to go 80s Gadd and put it dead-center on that kit--it's definitely a flatter "whump" than my others but I feel it really works for that particular kit--it's usually miced anyway on gigs. However, there is no right or wrong in ANYTHING drumming. . You must log in or register to reply here. Porting the resonant/front head on a BD takes away the proper sound and feel of the instrument. There are a couple of ways you can use a kick drum microphone inside of the drum but in this case, you're looking at mic'ing the drum without that hole. And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. They both have major tone. He handed me a knife and a roll of gaff tape to use as a circle-stencil. More attack, and greater definition from the bass drum beater (especially when only the resonant head has a microphone). This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. I have 20", 22 ", & 26" BDs, no ports, regular coated heads, no tape/gel or dampening on them, and they sound fantastic & are received as such by others in the groups, sound guys and crowds. Its the playing & tuning. A ported (or completely removed) reso head and muffled bass drum setup is the authentic sound for this music. It's certainly harder to get a punchy, defined kick drum with a front head and no hole. yes ,,,,,, kickport ... that should do the trick. Please spare us the purist/elitist attitude that we’re somehow committing some cardinal sin for porting our reso heads! The sub frequencies are a lot better with no front hole. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Reactions: Johnny D. Feb 9, 2020 #33 C. CherryClassic DFO Veteran. Kick Drum - Hole or no hole? I have always heard that the smaller the hole the better IF you simply want a better "feel" from the beater but still retaining a good amount of an unported sound. Personally, I don't like the sound or vision of a hole in my bass drum head. Yes, for me it was very noticeable. Try either way and decide what you like. In all my decades of playing, I have have never needed a ported bass drum reso (although I had one supplied on the last kit) and on the few occasions I recorded an external mike was used and on the many occasions I played miced, the same. But I play mostly live. Since I'm all about "feeling" my drums when I play, it was a great plus. Then I played a gig where the only kick mic the house had was a Shure Beta 91A, and the sound guy told me to cut a hole in the head. Without a port hole, the resonant mic can’t capture much beater definition. It felt dirty :-/ Turns out I still like the sound of the kick ported, but I wish I could have found that out under friendlier circumstances. I assume you have your own sound engineer who has spent time to figure out how to best capture/reproduce/reinforce that sound live. (for those of you who don't know, im a noob drummer just reaching out to the drum community, but im primarily an audio engineer who loves micing drums and much more familiar on Gearslutz recording forum). I'd say 4" or less. I'm also going to take the anti-purist position after years of arguing on behalf of an intact front head. LOL. It feels boomier to me. I no longer bury the beater into the head either. My new 14x20 now has a 4" port with a Clear PS3 batter and Smooth White PS3 on the reso side. What about a KickPort? I use the small Aquariun ring on most of my kits around the 8:00 position. I think if you do a lot of recording you may need a hole in your head. Whatever works for you. Portin, butting all that laundry & rubbish inside a BD reduces it to nothing more than sounding like a cardboard box. You can mike a BD for recording or for the house PA and keep the true sound of the instrument by placing a mike on the batter head, near the pedal, or miking the reso head. They all have a hand towel inside if needed and they all have major tone and I'm able to control tone duration with my foot. . A sealed bass drum sounds a lot better than with a hole. Others swear by it and there are some that claim to not notice much of a difference at all. The 22 with a 6" I think port and 18 with a 4" port both have Fiberskyn PS3's front and back.

Kaiserreich Progress Report 109, Manchester Zip Code, Sabra Singles Calories, 3-seat Porch Swing, Master Of Health Administration Salary, Acer Predator Helios 300 Price, How To Disconnect Garage Door Opener, English Grammar Worksheets For Grade 4 With Answers, Jumper Jpd-fr412 Price, What Is Haggis Made Of,