Border Leicester DK . The handle of the yarn makes it a joy to work with for quick and easy projects and intricate colour work alike: it slips smoothly on and off the needles without losing the strength needed for structured garments. We are now on our 4th year of producing our fabulous slaughterfree, cruelty free, rare breed, British, Doulton Border Leicester yarn. Letting sheep eat only grass encourages breaks in the wool. Hand-dyed in rich tones, this yarn balances crispness and drapiness perfectly. and 15 tempting shades Border Leicester Sheep for Sale A very personable sheep, they are clean faced with Roman noses. I learned how to show, to appreciate good fleeces and to breed for fleeces. Two months later I took delivery of the 2 ewe lambs which the ram’s owner bought for me at Lanark. I loved his dignity. These native, rare breed sheep, from our slaughter free, ethically produced flock, produce beautiful fleeces with a long staple length and distinct crimp. Doulton Border Leicester yarn: High welfare, high quality. I started to sell their beautiful crimped fleeces to spinners and eventually got my first batch of handpicked fleeces processed into a beautiful yarn. The Yorkshire Post contacted us earlier this year to ask if they could come out and see our flock with a view to putting an article in their Saturday Farming section. Border Leicester is a lovely breed of sheep – a favorite of hand spinners for a couple of centuries. We produce our own excellent hay and haylage, then we are not buying rubbish in. I called them Minnie and Martha after Coronation Street characters and it didn’t take too long before we became friends. For the better I believe. All with full provenance. Combine this yarn as warp with a lighter, softer yarn as weft…like our Border Leicester soft spun yarn in either fog or cloud. Enjoy real Vermont Yarn from happy sheep! All the fleeces were hand picked for this Limited Edition Yarn from the flock which is slaughter-free. The years went on and my two lambs turned gradually into 300 sheep. If you have any questions or concerns about how this yarn came to be, please feel free to ask! They also reviewed our brand new book!Read the article. Most of all we love them dearly and always will. Related by breeding to the Leicester Longwool and Blue-Faced Leicester, it is in the middle of those breeds for softness and has beautiful lustre and drape. Border Leicester yarn is a Longwool breed developed in the 18th century in the borderlands between England and Scotland (hence the name). The white fleece is ivory color. We have been in a lot of sheep helath schemes to ensure that they are as healthy as can be. Please enable the javascript to submit this form, © 2017 - 2020 DoultonBorderLeicesterYarn.com. Border Leicester Yarn is a Longwool breed developed in the 18th century in the borderlands between England and Scotland (hence the name). design: 2-ply (the best structure for lace knitting or weaving), semi-worsted spun with very light twist in singles, but extra twist in the plying for strength size: fingering weight, 16 wpi, 1000 yards per pound suggested use: warp or weft yarn. Derby Line Border Leicester Yarn 3ply Sport is soft and suitable for next-to-skin uses for all but the most wool-sensitive people. Experience our Border Leicester 3ply Sport yarn from our Animal Welfare Approved flock. Related by breeding to the Leicester Longwool and Blue-Faced Leicester, it is in the middle of those breeds for softness and has beautiful luster and drape. We also feed the ewes and lambs. Each of them had wonderful personalities and were so beautiful. Available in three weights, Aran, 4ply/fingering and DK/Double knitting in 100g skeins. I prefer to say that they are born to grow old, which is what happens here. Related by breeding to the Leicester Longwool and Blue-Faced Leicester, it is in the middle of those breeds for softness and has beautiful lustre and drape. All with full provenance. The breed originated in England in 1767. Our Yarn Doulton Border Leicester yarn is made from the fleeces of rare breed,British Border Leicester sheep that live to grow old. The Border Leicester changed my life completely. They were so wild, climbing up the walls and flinging themselves around! This 100% single source Border Leicester wool yarn is from our family farm in Michigan. This 100% single source Border Leicester wool yarn is from our family farm in Michigan. Our 3ply Fingering Yarn is spun semi-worsted for exquisite stitch definition and softness. We take great pride in our sheep, and ensure that they are all well fed and looked after, even after they have reached ages when their fleeces cannot be used. Please enable the javascript to submit this form, © 2017 - 2020 DoultonBorderLeicesterYarn.com. The white fleece is ivory color. I’m disappointed in myself. We then add the nutrients. I loved the way he showed himself off, even while just standing beside his owner, who was sitting on a bench. Related by breeding to the Leicester Longwool and Blue-Faced Leicester, it is in the middle of those breeds for softness and has beautiful luster and drape. To grow beautiful fibre you must feed good protein feed and we do this from a couple of weeks after the lambs are born until they are shearlings. after a chance encounter with a huge ram, at East of England Show, I was hooked. Our small, purebred flock is well loved and managed using only ethical handling and breed preservation standards. Our story begins way back in 1997 when I bought a couple of  rare breed, British Border Leicester ewe lambs from Lanark Auction Mart. The high quality of this yarn is due to the wonderful fleeces that the sheep produce and those with a discerning eye will be pleased to know of the high level of welfare that is afforded to the flock. We love to talk about our sheep! I knew very little about sheep, even less about Border Leicesters at that time. We are now on our 4th year of producing our fabulous slaughterfree, cruelty free, rare breed, British, Doulton Border Leicester yarn. They were very interested in the fact that we are Yorkshire based and produce our own yarn which goes to support the flock. Weight.125 lbs: Dimensions : 3 × 2 × 12 in: Reviews There are no reviews yet. Doulton Border Leicester yarn is made from the fleeces of  rare breed ,British Border Leicester sheep that live to grow old. They also had wonderful, long stapled, crimped, semi lustrous fleeces, perfect for spinners and for processing into wonderful yarns. All with full provenance. The Border Leicester changed my life completely. The white fleece is ivory color. If you have any questions or concerns about how this yarn came to Related by breeding to the Leicester Longwool and Blue-Faced Leicester, it is in the middle of those breeds for softness and has beautiful lustre and drape. Each skein weighs 2 oz and contains 150 yards of sport-weight yarn. All I knew was that. We have an old age pensioner's barn and fields. A very personable sheep, they are clean faced with Roman noses. I loved his amazing head, so proud, with the big roman nose. The yarn itself is so beautiful and comes in 3 weights. We also plough each field every three years to get rid of any worm burden. For the better I believe. Border Leicester Yarn is a Longwool breed developed in the 18th century in the borderlands between England and Scotland (hence the name). We love to talk about our sheep! This beautiful yarn is from a pedigree Border Leicester herd (rare breed) from an organic farm in Co.. €28.99 This fibre spins to a wonderfully lofty yarn with a lovely natural spring and bounce to it. We've now been in the MV scheme for over 20 years, which protects them from respiratory diseases. Border Leicester yarn is a Longwool breed developed in the 18th century in the borderlands between England and Scotland (hence the name). Additional information. These native, rare breed sheep, from our slaughter free, ethically produced flock, produce beautiful fleeces with a long staple length and distinct crimp. In 2015 the first pure Border Leicester yarn was processed from the Doulton Flock. Border Leicester yarn is a Longwool breed developed in the 18th century in the borderlands between England and Scotland (hence the name). None of my sheep ever go for slaughter. See some of our creative patterns here. A very personable sheep, they are clean faced with Roman noses. I’ve got pictures of Deakin’s fleece being processed elsewhere, but I don’t know the name of this sheep. Every year we test our various fields to see what condition they are in, whether they are lacking in any  nutrients. This Vermont yarn truly shines in hats, mittens, sweaters and shawls.

Sodium Bromide Ionic Or Covalent, Suzuki Gixxer 150 Price In Kolkata 2019, How Long Do Skinny Syrups Last, Radiant Historia 3ds Cia, Chorizo Cream Cheese Pasta, Tody App Family Sharing, Problems With Action Research, Fried Zucchini With Cornmeal,