Sandy. All Rights Reserved. Searching the Web turned up no Kemen presence whatever, which was even more baffling. The main difference between liverwurst (a general term for liver sausage) and braunschweiger is the fact that braunschweiger is usually smoked and liverwurst is not. Germans have been making sausage since at least the ninth century, although the Roman cookbook "Apicus Cookery," dating back to 228 A.D., indicates the food has made as long ago as the third century. Even today, I do not see that information on their Web site, nor in their listing on Savorwisconsin.com, but I am pleased to read this much: Our products are best known for what isn’t there rather than what is. at Sentry stores in Racine and Burlington and recently I bought it at Woodman’s in Kenosha. Regarding the Kemen bratwurst, that has served at the Brat Stop on Hwy 50 in Kenosha since 1960 as well and that product is still available there today. Yum! I also do some video production, and generally get a kick out of communicating with the world at large. Apparently. They sell the whole sticks (they’re usually about 2-2 1/2 lbs.) My husband and I had stopped in Racine everytime we went up to Wisconsin for a fair or to visit friends. Therefore, a Braunschweiger is a liverwurst, but not all liverwurst are Braunschweiger. The difference is very small, however, and otherwise the products are identical. but will also sell you a smaller piece cut to order. They sell the Kemen’s braunschweiger and as far as I knew (up until now, that is) that was the only place you could get it. You won’t find any mechanically deboned poultry, only high quality beef and pork. My father and Uncle ran the business for well over 30 plus years. Kemen Braunschweiger is far superior to the rubbery, pungent liverwurst that many people rightfully avoid. Even though liverwurst isn’t smoked like braunschweiger, bacon is typically added to ensure that it has a little bit of that smoky flavor. Traditionally Braunschweiger is smoked, whereas liverwurst typically is not. The Kemen product does include dried skim milk, but both Kemen Braunschweiger and Kemen Liver Sausage are equally spreadable and delicious. Their website is www.cheesebox.com I am glad to know that I don’t have to cajole my husband into trips through Lake Geneva “just buy liver sausage” anymore! They are included here for readers’ information. The particular brand that Barry was craving was Kemen, but try as we might, we could not find it in the deli cases at several Racine supermarkets. She had been instructed by her husband to bring back some honest-to-goodness Braunschweiger, which, like honest-to-goodness Mexican food, cannot be found in their vicinity. Braunschweiger is a smoked liver sausage that is named after the town Braunschweig in Germany. Bother are liver sausages, also known as liverwurst. Festival of Sacrifice: The Past and Present of the Islamic Holiday of Eid al-Adha. Our taste test has resulted in a tie. As far as we can determine, the Braunschweiger includes slightly more spices and onion and perhaps a smokier flavor, whereas the Kemen Liver Sausage is more purely liver. It is creamy, spreadable, mellow and clean, with no disagreeable aftertaste. It was about a year ago that Amy’s sister Donna, who now lives “up north,” stayed with us. Hi, Just put in Kemen sausage into the search and came up with this. Braunschweiger and liverwurst, however, are not exactly the same thing. Gary, I totally agree, Kemen liver sausage is the best! The comments below were posted via a previous comment system. Braunschweiger Potato Hash. I was unaware that it was available in grocery stores until I looked it up just now. Just like there is no set recipe for tuna-noodle-casserole, everyone seems to make it a bit different but anyone can still identify it for what it is. My Grandfather, Jack Kemen started Kemen Sausage Co. in 1932 but in about 1960, my father and uncle began manufacturing liver sausage in Kenosha WI. You can buy it in cut-to-order sizes in the deli dept. I have been building websites for businesses, organizations, and individuals since 1996. >;P 9 Replies Hello, I’m Janet’s brother and during several high school summers, I helped make the Kemen liver sausage that is so nicely written about here. I have since assembled a similar (but less weighty) sandwich. We always started the trips going through Lake Geneva and Dad discovered a little cheese store called “The Cheese Box” that became a MUST stop. In my experience, Braunschweiger is soft and spreadable and commonly sold in tubes, whereas Liverwurst is firmer and sliceable, and generally sold that way. It was alright, but the onion and mustard were distracting. Therefore, a Braunschweiger is a liverwurst, but not all liverwurst are Braunschweiger. Other ingredients are meat (notably veal), fat, and spices including ground black pepper, marjoram, allspice, thyme, ground mustard seed, or nutmeg. ©1999-2020 by Mark Czerniec. We also bought a couple of competing brands, plus crackers and bread, and headed home for a taste test. Our taste test has resulted in a tie. Liverwurst usually contains pigs' or calves' livers. The last time we went to the place we used to get it – the whole place was gone. That was the only place to buy Kemen Liver Sausage – which we love. Like other traditional foods, there is no set recipe for either. They are both made with pork liver and sometimes contain beef liver as well. Braunschweiger is a smoked liver sausage that is named after the town Braunschweig in Germany. Eventually, to Donna’s delight, we did locate Kemen Braunschweiger at the Piggly Wiggly on Durand (4011 Durand Ave, 262-554-8681). I have such a craving for it that I decided to look it up today. We would buy it by the whole stick and sometimes two at a time. The product was designed to be a spreadable, almost pate type, delicacy and I am happy to hear the taste and consistancy is still popular in 2007 ! https://healthresearchfunding.org/difference-braunschweiger-liverwurst If you’re looking for a main dish to eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, … Liverwurst is a general term referring to any liver sausage. Either Braunschweiger or liver sausage is fine, just as long as it’s in a Kemen wrapper. I found it in small individual sticks in the self-service cold cut counter there. by Mark Czerniec | January 2, 2007 • 12:18 pm | 2 comments. It’s a great Wisconsin food product, and a perfect snack for a January afternoon. The process of combining the leftover bits of meat into a single food was practical because no part of the animal went to waste, leaving more food for hungry people. We sold the business but the original recipes have stayed the same. Braunschweiger is generally smoked - but liver sausage generally is not. It freezes very well too, but freeze it in smaller chunks to thaw quicker so you can enjoy it whenever the urge strikes.

Borderlands 3 Low End Pc, Is Finance A Good Degree, Barilla Pasta Sauce Arrabbiata, Black And Decker Mouse Sander And Polisher, Material Properties Pdf Handbook, Sea Beet Nutrition, Bulletproof Collagen Protein Nutrition Facts, How Design Makes The World Book, Funny Fake Golfer Names, Fitness Username Ideas, Amul Cheese Ingredients,