Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. I'm a cheerleader!" Upon her arrival, she meets Graham, a defiant lesbian forced into the program by her parents. Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). that being said, the only reason I can think of for not considering the main character (and some of the supporting cast) great role models, is good old fashion homophobia. How Technology Is Reshaping Democracy and Our Lives, Participate in DigCit Week with your kid by using curated activities from Wide Open School, Online Playdates, Game Nights, and Other Ways to Socialize at a Distance, Keeping Kids Motivated for Online Learning. Common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization, earns a small affiliate fee from Amazon or iTunes when you use our links to make a purchase. Go. But I'm a Cheerleader is a 1999 American satirical romantic comedy film directed by Jamie Babbit and written by Brian Wayne Peterson. Wondering if But I'm a Cheerleader is OK for your kids? Our ratings are based on child development best practices. She's a cheerleader and has a boyfriend, but she doesn't like kissing him very much, and she's pretty tactile with her cheerleader friends, and she only has pictures of girls up in her locker. What parents need to know Parents need to know that But I'm a Cheerleader depicts teen characters having their first same-sex sexual experiences. Parents need to know that But I'm a Cheerleader depicts teen characters having their first same-sex sexual experiences. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. We display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate. Teens go to a gay bar called the "C--ksucker." They whisk her off to True Directions, a campy version of real-life ex-gay ministries, to straighten her out. I think this movie rests close to my heart because I understand what it's like to spend decades of your life trying to hide or change or ignore who you are. It's fun to watch and eloquent in it's ability to somehow make light of a heavy issue of being young in a world that won't accept you. that being said, the only reason I can think of for not considering the main character (and some of the supporting cast) great role models, is good old fashion homophobia. It's the classic girl meets girl, girl loses girl, girl tries to get girl back. How Technology Is Reshaping Democracy and Our Lives, Participate in DigCit Week with your kid by using curated activities from Wide Open School, Online Playdates, Game Nights, and Other Ways to Socialize at a Distance, Keeping Kids Motivated for Online Learning, Set limits for violence and more with Plus. A few scenes include masturbation and sex, however they are non graphic, and tastefully done. Kip’s last big role was Frankie Dean in Runaways in 2018. The best message is to be who you are and love who makes you happy. Skip to Main Content. Instead, she has Mary "planting" plastic flowers and everyone wearing ridiculously gender-specific colors (pink and blue, natch). There really isn't anything objectionable here beyond kissing and occasional sex talk which is actually relatively tame when compared with most films aimed at teenagers. What do you think about homophobia and discrimination faced by gay and lesbian teens? I find It actually incredibly offensive that CSM gave this movie no points for positive role models and very few for "great message". There's also implied masturbation and one sex scene (handled discreetly). She's vegetarian, she listens to Melissa Etheridge, she has pictures of girls in her locker, and she hates kissing her boyfriend. Meanwhile, True Directions instructors Mike (de-dragged RuPaul) and Mary (Cathy Moriarty), try to bring them back into the heterosexual fold with instruction on proper gender roles and talk therapy. Oh, come on, CSM! Parents reject their children for their sexual orientation, and the teens must find a place to live when they fail to become straight. Gay sexual relationships, including kissing, making out, and one sex scene where nothing much is visible. If you don’t know him from But I’m A Cheerleader, you’re seriously missing out. Get your swag on with discounted movies to stream at home, exclusive movie gear, access to advanced screenings and discounts … I bet if this had been about a straight couple, it would have received no more than 3 lips. Graham throws a bottle at one boy. 1,2,3,4, you're the one that I adore. Sweet comedy about when a girl meets girl. Surrounded by fey boys and some tough girls, Megan realizes she's attracted to girls and starts a relationship with one of the girls (Clea DuVall). I think it's very offensive that you gave it 5 lips for sexual activity. Searching for streaming and purchasing options ... Common Sense is a nonprofit organization. I've seen you give considerably fewer lips to movies that... One of only a very few movies that approaches being a gay teen in the comedic fashion of most teen movies about straight kids. But I’m a Cheerleader was Kip’s first movie role, but he’s probably most well known for starring in Remember the Titans. Really humorous and everything but it's a but inaccurate in my opinion because some of the people that are bay or lesbian are stereotypical and it can depict them incorrectly but honestly considering it's a 1990's movie it a good movie in general. Dark comedy about religion has cursing, sex, drinking. Messages of tolerance and acceptance run throughout, though these messages are communicated through satire. But the obvious creepiness of True Directions gets tiring. This is a movie that all teens, especially those unsure of their sexuality, should really watch. But I'm a Cheerleader . See something that needs to be addressed? Your privacy is important to us. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, YouTube Kids: Qué es y cómo usarlo de manera segura, Which Side of History? Girls aren't just girls -- they wear pink and live in sickeningly pink bedrooms. But I’m a Cheerleader Posted by Lesflicks | 13 April 2001 | feature-films , Film , Film Database | Log line: A naive teenager is sent to rehab camp when her straitlaced parents … Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. There's also some cursing, smoking, and drinking. Buy Movies. Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). But I'm a Cheerleader is a satire, and as such, is over-the-top. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, YouTube Kids: Qué es y cómo usarlo de manera segura, Which Side of History? Natasha Lyonne stars as Megan Bloomfield, a high school cheerleader whose parents send her to a residential inpatient conversion therapy camp to cure her lesbianism.There, Megan soon comes to embrace her sexual orientation, despite the therapy, and falls in love. BUT I’M A CHEERLEADER satirizes the recent publicity about homosexuals turning their lives around, coined “deprogramming” by some. Indie Movie Guide; Family Guide; House Of Screams; Weekend Ticket; My VIP Account.

How To Make Sausage Casing Tender, Benzyl Alcohol Paint Remover, Chicken Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowl, Francis Bacon, Self-portrait, Jesus Of Suburbia Lyrics Meaning, Sicklerville, Nj Population, Super Low Calorie Bread, Beer Battered Chicken Drumsticks, Ti-84 Plus Ce Games Code, Which Poems Are In Ariel, Black 4-drawer Dresser, Trick Scooters For Adults, Sonic Cd Is Bad, Ucla Systems Engineering,