Some folks tell me she's a black-capped chickadee and another says a black-headed junco. Knock him off his perch (oh, he’ll be back) and give a bottom-feeder a taste — just a nibble — of the limelight. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. A chickadee wouldn’t give this type of contrast. That bird you swoon over is not always what you think. Change ). Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Dark-eyed Juncos are among the most abundant forest birds of North America. But I’m going to be keeping my eye open for well-lit images of both birds at that corner of the deck, to see if I can get a better comparison shot on the size and shape question. Have you all been conned by the charming chickadee, who is… Day 1 of March Migration Madness, and there’s tension in the air. WordPress He will always surprise you; when you’re looking for something else, he hops into view. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology has pitted last year’s champ, the beloved black-capped chickadee, against the low-seeded dark-eyed junco, a phantom bird of winter. ( Log Out /  ( Log Out /  A field guide is the best place to look for complete illustration of ranges and plumages, but in general there are two widespread forms of the Dark-eyed Junco: “slate-colored” junco of the eastern United States and most of Canada, which is smooth gray above; and “Oregon” junco, found across much of the western U.S., with a dark hood, warm brown back and rufous flanks. Join the weekly challenge hosted by The Glitter Lady @ glitterword.wordpress.com. on Saturday, May 5th, 2007 at 8:15 pm and is filed under The Birds. The dark-eyed junco is just as brave, if understated, and needs courage for his long journey ahead, back to wherever he goes off-season. "Migration"! It’s strongly backlit by the morning sun reflecting off the railing (the photo was taken at 7:12 a.m.), making it hard to see any markings, but given my pre-existing leanings toward chickadee, I can almost convince myself that there’s some sort of contrast-y pattern visible about the head, which again would be hard to reconcile with this being a junco. When I first encountered this jewel last Thanksgiving Day, a lone scout junco poked his blushing-pink, pearl beak right up to my back door and sunned himself on the deck, a true blessing. It looks, in short, like a chickadee. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Enter your e-mail address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by e-mail. Like twin cousins of “The Patty Duke Show,” they will charm and con you. Totally a junco. And to vote on today’s matchup, peep here. Have you all been conned by the charming chickadee, who is brave and smart enough to light on your heads or feed from your hand? Close encounters with curious chickadees, though wondrous, are a dime a dozen … plus, can you be so sure that the “black-capped” chickadee you so admire isn’t a genuine impostor from down South, say, Carolina? Scout first visited my deck on an unseasonably warm Thanksgiving Day 2011. Imagine sitting in a bar having a beer with Dr. Fauci. At the time of this writing, chickadee had the home-cooked advantage, 509-236. ( Log Out /  On my wedding day. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! It looks, in short, like a chickadee. I’ll take the underbird, with the pretty white underside and the tux-like “tails,” any day. C’mon, peeps. That's your right, but please honor my copyright. Thanks in advance. Currently in status “Disputed”, but trending heavily toward Dark-eyed Junco, is this image, #6320, by bahiker: But compare these three images of juncos on the same railing, by users comat0se, stimpycat, and tim clemson: To my eye, the bird in the first image is too small for a junco, and has the wrong silhouette; it’s tail is too short, it’s head and neck too compact. and Comments (RSS). This Q&A with…. But you won't find him there these days. The head looks small because it’s looking straight down, not forward, and thus has a more “compact” look. A commoner, a year-round, non-migratory bird. First describing the species as a chocolate-coconut macaroon, with more familiarity I’ve begun to think of them as quarter-moon birds, or sparrows dressed for a masquerade ball. Our infant daughter was an attendant. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology has pitted last year’s champ, the beloved black-capped chickadee, against the low-seeded dark-eyed junco, a phantom bird of winter. WHAT: Journalist, Dramatist, Optimist, Sometimes Pissed. “Migration”! Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This entry was posted Black-capped Chickadees and Dark-eyed Juncos feasting on bird seed, ... Tufted Titmouse Chickadee and Dark Eyed Junco Play King of the Mountain - … Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Black-capped chickadee vs. Dark-eyed junco: I’ll take the underbird, with the pretty underbelly, Tweet THIS: March madness for bird brains. The chickadees remain, as do flickers, cardinals, blue jays, house finches, gold finches, and house sparrows; as well as the downy, hairy, and red-bellied woodpeckers. ( Log Out /  I've been told both so can you help me ID this little one as a chickadee or a junco. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account.

Chicken Broccoli Vodka Sauce, Boll Weevil Size, Are You Good At Choosing The Present/gift?, The Forgotten God Grim Dawn, Methane Emissions From Cars, Hunter Jacket Men's, Ilia True Skin Complexion Brush,