If you're using Glyn Johns, you need to make sure that the distance between the snare and each mic is the same (or on a wavelength node - but let's not complicate the issue). This produced a pleasingly low, punchy bass drum sound. Glyn Johns Drum Method. 0000001671 00000 n In order to capture a balanced sound, it’s important that this mic faces the hi-hat and that it’s raised a few inches above the floor tom. Please read the LDS Privacy Policy  and the LDS Shop’s Refund Policy. I would recommend him to both beginners and more advanced drummers. The two photos below clearly show the proximity of the right-hand microphone to the floor tom. I had a gap from drumming for a good few years so. I used an SM57 on the snare drum, carefully aiming it towards the centre of the drum, away from the hi-hat. Instead of using two overhead microphones to capture a stereo image of the kit, the Johns method uses one. Shortly after I started having lessons I made great. 0000006268 00000 n It should be pointing down at the kit. But there's one thing I'm not quite sure: If one uses the Glyn Johns method, is that above-the-snare mic 40" straight above the snare pointing at the bass drum pedal or is it actually straight above the bass drum pedal & 40" from the snare center? Unfortunately, I only had 3 mic stands so I used a makeshift one made from a camera stand and some Frogtape™; it worked just fine but looked a bit crappy. xref In comparison, on a previous attempt I placed the microphone inside the hole and it sounded lousy. In this case, my Sonor SQ2 kit with Zildjian Constantinople cymbals. Who Is Glyn Johns? Joy Spring -Trinity Drum Kit, 2020 – 2023. Glyn Johns Glyn Johns is one of the UK’s most respected producers and engineers. Instead of using two overhead microphones to capture a stereo image of the kit, the Johns method uses one. 228 14 … 0 Glyn Johns is most famous for his method of recording drums. We have been really pleased with our son's drum lessons from Richard, he has progressed really well in a short time frame and really enjoys it too. trailer endstream endobj 229 0 obj<. Microphone Selection This […] The method starts with taking your first overhead mic and placing it about 3 to 4 feet directly above the snare (or middle of the kit). When positioned carefully, these two microphones do a tremendous job of capturing the full sound of the drum kit. Richard obviously knows his stuff and how to interact with students to get the most out of them in a structured yet relaxed atmosphere, and is a great guy to top it off. A second microphone is then placed near the floor tom, aiming it directly towards the hi-hat. All this equipment was lugged into my living room, which definitely doesn’t have the acoustics of Abbey Road. He's a great player himself and can accommodate a really broad range of styles. He is very patient, takes his time but explains very well. It’s a great kit, so I can’t really blame the drums if it doesn’t sound good. The Glyn Johns method of miking a drum kit is characterised by its use of relatively few microphones. Glyn Johns is most famous for his method of recording drums. Your email address will not be published. Messages will be replied to within 1-2 days. I’ve been trying to use it. I would highly recommend this drum school to current drummers wanting to improve or even people with no experience at all. 0000000604 00000 n Starting his career 0000001235 00000 n He's really. Glyn Johns method We were lucky enough to do a recent drum session with one of our resident stickmen Simon Edgoose , for a forthcoming Future Music commission. This technique usually employs three microphones: One hoisted several feet overhead to achieve natural perspective of the entire drum kit; One off to the side not far from the floor tom tom; One near to the bass drum 0000002967 00000 n The Glyn Johns method is a simple drum kit mic’ing technique using 3 or 4 mics, as heard on albums by The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin. The Glyn Johns method of miking a drum kit is characterised by its use of relatively few microphones. I would highly, I have been seeing Richard at Leicester drum school for several years and has taken me from complete beginner to taking my grade 5 soon. The Glyn Johns method is a simple, fast and reliable way to achieve an open, live and realistic drum sound using a small amount of recording equipment. Born in England in 1942, Mr. Johns has recorded many well-known musicians including Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Steve Miller, and The Eagles. <<2f279b508dc69e4aaa49bbb37b34a2cd>]>> For this blog entry I‘ve decided to try out the Glyn Johns method of recording a drum kit. He is famous for his work with some of the biggest rock bands of the 60s and 70s. 0000001099 00000 n The Glyn Johns method works well in the studio but I'm not sure it would be the most effective situation live, for two reasons: i) It can be quite perceptible to phase issues. .��������EK���?j�hˤuHLᥒ�tL��Y([N�^�X ��+���������YXЁ��Rq�>s�{+�fB˦U;5�������c�F����wvg>p���w�y�° progress and reached grade 5 in a very short space of time. x�bbRb`b``Ń3� �`� r�� I use a KickPort™ so I placed the microphone outside the drum about 1.5 inches away from the hole. Note: these productions involved other close mics to give more control over things like kick out, snare top and bottom, toms, hats, and rooms, but the attached clips are just the Glyn Johns … He pushes me rather than sticking just with a basic pattern, will add in flares to test me. 0000000920 00000 n patient and lets you learn at your own pace. The brief was ‘country crunk’ a kinda cross between country and hip-hop, so we wanted some straight country grooves and some more swung laidback beats using brushes and hot rods. Johns developed a unique approach to the recording of drums, often referred to as the "Glyn Johns Method". Thanks! It’s called the Glyn Johns method, and it's a favorite of recording engineers everywhere trying to get professional results on a tight budget. ™; it worked just fine but looked a bit crappy. With Richard’s teaching I have developed a solid foundation in rudiments which I previously did not appreciate and have developed the skills to play along with a lot of songs I couldn’t previously. startxref It’s not necessary to know all the audio science of why it works … The Glyn Johns method of miking a drum kit is characterised by its use of relatively few microphones. My son absolutely loves his lessons. It seems simple but there seems to be real problems with phase coherence, in particular if you are recording in a small space. He reports that he is patient, skilled, enthusiastic and an all-round great teacher. Hi all, I have been reading quite a lof about Glyn Johns method for tracking drums lately. Because of the mic placement, the snare drum is in the centre of the stereo image, with the bass drum slightly off centre. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 0000003446 00000 n This is placed directly over the snare drum to achieve an overall kit sound. Your email address will not be published. %PDF-1.5 %���� Instead of using two overhead microphones to capture a stereo image of the kit, the Johns method uses one.

Fallout 76 Lone Wanderer Worth It, Application Of Computer System, Are Black-and-white Warblers Rare, Cookie Crumb Crust Bars, White Genuine Leather Bag, Pork Stew Chinese,