I am about to use it and brine 10 pork tenderloins to feed 300 people. Will that do or will I use a professional brining mix. Try the Buckboard Bacon cure and make some of the best bacon you ever tasted, I have pictures. picnic shoulder. To this end I make Na free bread, sausages, dips, mayonassise, spice mixes, and the only item I haven't worked out is a taste alike ham. I think it tastes better than commercial hams that tend to contain lengthy and questionable ingredient lists, and when fresh pork ham is on sale, it can be very economical. HI, i am curing 2 hams and have cured 10 pork bellies this year. Make the brine: Place the coarse salt, sugar, pickling spice, curing salt, and 3 quarts hot water in a … The question is... do I need to smoke it? Cool, I was thinking of giving this a go in the spring when our new (and large enough) fridge arrives. The ham was really good, I smoked on my smoker until I got an internal temp of 158F. Also the amounts of salt and insta cure for this ham receipe is not proportionate to what is recommended for the bacon receipe. I put it in the fridge and the brine got around 38 degrees so I took it out for a bit to let the temperature raise. I would really appreciate you advice on this, if u want, my email address is: ernesto_31905@yahoo.com. to make into ham, the first thing you need to do is brine the ham. Would that prevent bottulism? I turn the meat daily, leave the liquid until finished and have had no problems. How did you arrive at your cure time of 2 # a day? Stonewall's BBQ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. To brine a ham is basically to wet cure a ham. It is difficult to find curing information on the web, I have in the past been frustrated by this. Home curing a ham is quite safe, but you will need to get a hold of some insta cure #1 (also called pink salt or D.Q. Does it matter if you leave it in longer. hi im looking for images of the curing process. Apparently when they enter the body they form one of the most toxic carcinagens known to science!! I don't like sweet taste, what is the effect other than taste by the sugar? Did you inject your ham, or just depend on immersion? I just did the Wet Cure and then a dry cure from a defrosted pork, and then hung it up my chimney (old english house!) I'm not a chemist so can't say what will happen if you do, but since the possible consequence of screwing this up is fatal botulism, I think it's a good idea to use what the health and safety experts say you should use! Every hour or so during the cooking process, open up the smoker and spray the ham down with apple juice or apple cider. I am starting from scratch using Morton' Sugar Insta-Cure. Also, since you don’t want any seasoning, mix up the wood type to create unique flavors without much seasoning. That is a huge range. After that, they are ready to be applied in the first 2 hours of smoking. It is used to sterilize (as wine bottles) & a little in @ bottle of wine as a preservative before corking them. Keep it in the fridge until done. When the charcoal seems ready enough, place the pre-soaked and mixed wood chunks together with the charcoal to have it smoldered. You do definitely want to use sodium nitrite though, not potassium metabisulphite. It is my go to when brining ham. We do have pink salt naturally in Australia. I forgot it and left it out for 7 hours. 1. How long will the wet cure ham last. Beautiful! Nitrite in high concentrations is toxic, so measure carefully (but don't be scared either!!!). Then, start the smoker as per instruction and heat it until it reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Home curing your own ham (wet cure) takes just a few minutes of active work, and about a week of waiting until you are left with a ham you have preserved yourself. I have brined fresh pork hams and gave them away for christmas gifts. Is it the same thing. John D Lee (author) on November 16, 2010: The 2 liters listed above is good for 6 or 7 pounds of ham, bone in or out. Although I have seen people who actually like it uncured. How about potassium metabisulphite? From yours and other recipes, I chose 2 cups of salt to make the brine ( a little heavy), and an assortment of spices. I decided to experiment with your recipe this Xmas, but I think I may have made a big mistake. To make a liter of this solution you use 67.5 grams of sodium nitrite and 933 grams of water. I am in a similar situation here in Thailand as I am also unable to buy ready mixed pink salt. I first want to say I really enjoyed your article on brining a ham. My goal is a good writer to encouraging people to do for themselves, the things they think that can't and I am sure ham is high on that list. We just finnished curing two hams and put them in the smoker for several hours. of water to cover the meat in my brining container. I hope that this offers you some assistance. I'd recommend planning on smoking it if you can, but before you pop it into the smoker, slice of a bit and fry it up so you'll know for next time whether you want to smoke - or not smoke. Just read that Morton has a curing product that has the nitrite in it called 'Tender Quick', so if you can find that, it can save us from finding Pink Salt. Thoughts? A large ham will take about a week. It's something that sounds hard to do, that few people know how to do, and that does take a long time, but home-cured ham is actually very easy to make! This will keep indefinitely. Phillip from Houston, Texas on July 22, 2019: I am going to use this recipe to brine a whole ham. I hope you can help. I'm a devoted stick burnner, but I've been wanting to try my hand at curing my own pork. You will need to mix these mixtures well in a hot pan. I followed your recipe except for the curing salt. I may give it a try after it gets warm enough to grill outside. eatlikenoone from Saline, MI on April 19, 2011: Thanks for writing this hub. I used only 1 1/2 tsp because my meat was about 3 kg. Worked a treat. It will cure at the rate of 2 pounds per day. You can keep this up to 6 months or longer if it is sealed adequately. Do you have any more input on this, or can you refer me to a source that might have more information? Different type of wood will bring a different taste for the ham you smoke. Hi, this is all very informative. Leave it for 30 minutes or one hour, depending on the size of the ham. Throw in more wood chunks and charcoal as much as needed within an interval of three to four hours. sweetie of cebu city philippines on December 23, 2011: is it still safe if the ham i am curing was cured for 3 weeks? I follow a recipe adapted from one in Charcuterie, by Michael Rhulman and Brian Polcyn, which is a very respected book on the subject of curing meat – and I can confirm that the amount called for turns the meat pink throughout – and it hasn’t killed me yet! Either way, both reasons dictate that you desire a much simpler method. If you have just such curiosity in mind, this article is for you. He's always loved to cook. Jennifer Mondora (Australia) on January 29, 2012: Hi Guys, I have bought my leg of pork but it is much smaller. I was reading about the dangers of nitrite and have to say that at the amounts your using you would have to eat 12lbs plus in your mouth at the same time to be dangerous. Thanks, I use Sure Cure made by Excalibur for curing my bacons and hams. Smoking a 12-15 lb ham will take somewhere between five and seven hours before it is finally ready to eat. adorababy from Syracuse, NY on June 04, 2010: Homemade hams are better because they are not commercialized in flavor. Even for this method, there is still some preparations needed. Just want to say thank you for this post. Can you safely cure a pork butt or belly that has been frozen? The meat will become noticeable firmer as it cures and if you cut a test slice and fry it about halfway through the curing time, you can see how far into the meat the cure has penetrated by how deeply in it is pink around a center ring of grey.

Filippo Berio Olive Oil Price, Well Wishes For A Child Having Surgery, Hutton Theory Of The Earth Pdf, Black And Decker Cyclone 4-in-1 Sander, Silver Birch Logs, Tony Moly Honey Hand Cream,