Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Hi Judy, so nice to read about grandmothers and granddaughters, as grandmothers, we all hope that we can leave some legacy behind for our grandchildren. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. That’s how I learnt. (2016). I hope to have that kind of relationship with my granddaughters too. She does now! Thank you AnnnCollin for posting this. Make sure bowl, beaters, and all utensils that will be used for the meringue are super clean, no grease! Grandma’s Easy Lemon Meringue Pie, as its name suggests, is easier to make than the traditional version. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the outside is set but the center of the pie … At the time, I used to visit her and Granddad on my way home from school at least once a week. Thanks Ruth and Judy. Ensure your comments on my site are respectful and as useful as possible for other readers. I finally added it to my recipe box here on allrecipes.com. She had been praying for a great-granddaughter (she already had four great-grandsons) and the Lord gave her not one, but two dear little girls! She was ever so patient. In 2008, when I gave birth to twin girls she was so thrilled. VARIATION. Judith Salecich. Grandparenting: Ain’t it grand. I love you. Spread meringue onto warm pie, making sure meringue goes all the way to the edges creating a seal. Anonymous comments – I only accept comments from people who identify themselves. Swirl into points and tips. Grandma with me and a colleague (Bec) when I first started teaching, at Blackwater State High School. But more than that, it’s a story about the relationship I had with my Grandma. Thank you. I have a close relationship with my four granddaughters and they will be visiting in July so we will prepare one together. Harassing comments – those I consider to be disrespectful towards me, my contributors or other people leaving comments. Extreme Grandparenting: The ride of your life. Juice lemons to make ½ cup lemon juice. I always felt close to her. The sweetness of the milk and the sourness of the lemon make a sensational combination for the taste buds. I never felt I was intruding or that I was a bother. My Dad and I with Grandma on her 76th birthday (I was in Year 11 at the time). Gary Chapman and Dr Ross Campbell. Pile meringue roughly on top of the lemon filling. And every time I make Grandma’s Easy Lemon Meringue Pie it reminds me of her and the times we spent together when I was growing up. 5 stars! I have so many treasured memories of her. 2 tablespoons sugar That was not her style; she just listened. I've now made this pie 6 times exactly the same way each time. I make it quite often for my family and when I entertain guests. I loved the stories and the recipe, very similar to one of my Auntie’s. Press pie crust into a pie plate. Online: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/grandparenting/how-to-be-a-better-grandparent.htm. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Your email address will not be published. Discovery House Publishers. I’m sure they are looking forward very much to their visit. It has a tart but creamy lemon filling complimented by the light meringue. She was present at my wedding and helped me celebrate the birth of each of my three children. Place in a slow oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned. In turn, my grandmother opened up to me. ½ cup (60 mL) lemon juice But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Save Being a Grandparent ain’t for Wimps. When she was a little girl, her auntie showed her how to bake beautiful cakes, including Dulcie’s signature Bung-in Cake (April 14, 2016). Delicious!! Doing things together (like cooking) helped us to build a relationship on a personal level where we both felt comfortable to share our innermost thoughts and feelings. You are welcome to share my stories and images as long as you give appropriate credit and link them back to this site. The 5 Love Languages of Your Family. Or you may buy a fresh ready-made pastry case from the bakery. (2016). Mix sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, and lemon zest together in a bowl; pour into pie crust. Followed the recipe almost exactly; I left out the zest. Your email address will not be published. I’m sure you’ll love my Grandma’s Easy Lemon Meringue Pie as much as I do. Separate eggs. Making pie is a good, old southern tradition–one that needs to be passed on for generations. My wife claimed prior to making this that she doesn't like Lemon Meringue Pie. Add mixture to pastry case and spread evenly. Judy Schreur, Jerry Schreur, Erin Schreur. I spent many hours in the kitchen, wood stove and a foot stool for shorter people, with my Aunt and my grandmother…lovely memories. On Fridays I finished school at midday. What I didn’t realize at the time, Grandma was sharing with me our family history. Roll thinly onto floured baking paper, then invert over a lightly greased and floured pastry plate. Five minutes before pie is done, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together in a bowl using an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. However, I recommend you try Grandma’s Easy Pastry recipe as the pastry base for your Easy Lemon Meringue Pie. She told me about her early life, her schooldays and her family, the dances she attended as a young woman, and how she met Granddad at a dance in Brisbane during the war years. Save Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. The secret: It contains sweetened condensed milk! Lemon Meringue Pie remains one of my best-loved desserts. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. She taught me how to separate eggs using only the egg shell, create an amazingly designed meringue top, and prepare pastry which required the techniques of kneading and rolling. Add extra flour if necessary to make a workable dough. What on earth could be causing this????? Grandma always had time for me, quality time. She would show me a recipe, explain what to do and give a demonstration. I will remove: 6. I helped her celebrate her 80th birthday with family and friends in Rockhampton and 10 years later, in Brisbane, her 90th birthday. Grate rind of 1 lemon. Add the pulp of 2–3 passion fruit to the lemon filling. Online: https://judithsalecich.com/aint-it-grand/, Dida’s Caramel Slice. (2015). 1 cooked pastry case Allow pastry cases to cool completely before adding the filling. Very easy to make added to my recipes and will make the forever! 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk. Remove pie from oven and increase temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 1 egg Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I can’t remember a time when Grandma was not a part of my life. (It is a fairly soft dough.). (2009). Don't let pie cool before putting on meringue. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Judith Salecich. Trim edges with a sharp knife. If you are busy like me, you probably buy ready-made pastry from the freezer department at the supermarket. Everyone loved it! Halve the dough to make two medium-size pastry cases. 1 tin (400 g) sweetened condensed milk In fact, the soft dough requires very little handling prior to rolling on a well-floured surface. Add egg yolks, lemon rind and lemon juice to condensed milk and beat until smooth. ¼ cup (60 mL) milk I remember having great times with both my grandmothers and Emma spending much time with her Nana where love was shared. Thank you, Sylvia. I clearly remember her showing me how to make her Easy Lemon Meringue Pie. An experienced home cook, Grandma happily shared her knowledge, skills and her love of cooking with me.

Parrot Sound In Words, Skil Octo Sandpaper Size, Group Of 37-down Crossword Clue, Luke 9 Nkjv, Moroccanoil Protect And Prevent Spray, Karndean Loose Lay Flooring Prices, Outbreak Perfected Catalyst Farm, Dark Souls 3 Excel, Pros And Cons Of Interactive Instruction,