I think Lorelei is a beautiful name. You will receive an email (no more than once per day) summarizing any new mentions of Lorelei on Nameberry. To me, this is one of those names where a slight change in spelling totally ruins it. Dramatic Heroine Names for Girls Rise Up! Lori is prettier as a nickname. This is my mom’s name (she was named after the Marilyn Monroe film) and I’ve always loved it. The myth is associated with a large rock named Lorelei, which stands on the bank of the Rhine River near Sankt Goarshausen, Germany, and is known for producing an echo. She hates it when people call her Lori and I can see why. They're female names. Name Guru to the Stars: Baby Names for Nicki Minaj and more! Use census records and voter lists to see where families with the Lorelei surname lived. It's not that the characters themselves were bad. So cute! HATE the Lorelai spelling, BTW, and Rory isn't a very intuitive nickname IMO- that'd be Lori, but then again that would've sounded dated on a teen. Just an FYI for those afraid of purely GG association, This name means "luring rock," not "alluring, temptress.". This is my daughters name so of course I love it!! Meaning & History. I don't understand why so many people like it. Origin: German. <3. I've always thought that Lorelei was a beautiful name. Census records can tell you a lot of little known facts about your Lorelei ancestors, such as occupation. Sorry, we couldn't find geographic distribution information for Lorelei. Find the complete details of Lorelei name on BabyNamesCube, the most trusted source for baby name meaning, numerology, origins, similar names and more! Curious what's so negative about The Gilmore Girls association. I prefer the spelling of Loreley, which isn't on Nameberry. Middle Name Possibilities: Colette View Social Security Death Index (SSDI) for Lorelei, Discover the unique achievements of ancestors in your family tree, This page needs Javascript enabled in order to work properly. I think you might be right there. I think it's pronounced Lore-uh-lie...at least, that is how i've heard it said. The idea, promoted by the description on NB, that Ashley is no longer usable for boys, is inaccurate, in my opinion. The name was altered to Lorelei by Clemens Brentano, a German poet. We're excited that you have an opinion about the name Lorelei. Is it pronounced LoreLAY or LoreLEE or LoreLIE? Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure. Name Guru to the Stars: Will Grimes Call Her Baby Tesla. My oldest daughters name so I guess I'm biased! Explore the meaning, origin, variations, and popularity of the name Lorelei. Beyond Gilmore Girls, I believe the name is associated with an old irish lullaby as well. Laurelei, Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. :(. The meaning is rather dark, so I like to think of the meaning as more of a girl who is strong and brave. Would you like to follow Lorelei? To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. The translation of the name would therefore be: 'murmur rock' or 'murmuring rock'. I have always loved the name Lorelei. You've only scratched the surface of Lorelei family history. For the veterans among your Lorelei ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions. Gilmore Girls also demonstrated that the dated Lori wasn't the only short form of the name: daughter Lorelai was known as Rory; Grandma's seemingly unrelated nickname was Trix. also love Lorelai, Lauralei and Loralei. Simply start with a family member and we'll do the searching for you. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Lorelei, try our name generator. I don't know why but I can picture this name for a guy too. I wouldn't bother naming my child Lorelei if I wanted such a common nickname such as Lori personally. As a female name, to me, Rory is normally short for Aurora. Meaning: Alluring temptress. Occupation can tell you about your ancestor's social and economic status. © 2020 Nameberry.com. Rory sounds very masculine to me. There was something of an upswing following the Marilyn incarnation of 1953, and again starting in 2004 via Gilmore Girls -- who, by the way, used an alternate spelling, Lorelai. Husband and I have had it picked out since we were in high school. Origin of the name Lorelei: Derived from Lurlei, the name of the rock "ambush cliff," which is derived from the Middle High German luren (to watch) and lei (a cliff, a rock). The site's own stats show that Ashley is used more for boys, but popular for girls also, here in the UK. You can find birthdates, death dates, addresses and more. The name Lorelei is of German origin, and is used mostly in English speaking countries but also in a few other countries and languages of the world. The SSDI is a searchable database of more than 70 million names. Lurlene, There are 1,000 military records available for the last name Lorelei. It might be less usable for boys in USA, but not worldwide. I also like to think of the meaning more as a mermaid than a siren. Lurleen, Loralie, The name actually means a siren who lures sailors to their deaths. It's got this lovely melodic feel, plus the Gilmore Girls association, which I like. His full name was Theodore Lawrence. Lorelei and Lorelai are so beautiful! I don't think it would work for boys now, much like Vivian. I had a baby names book that said Lorelei means "Destruction". The name Lorelei is a girl's name of German origin meaning "alluring, temptress". Current Popularity: #473. More for a boy than a girl. In Germanic legend Lorelei was a siren who lured sailors to destruction. His nickname was Laurie, short for his surname, Lawrence. Historically, surnames evolved as a way to sort people into groups - by occupation, place of origin, clan affiliation, patronage, parentage, adoption, and even physical characteristics (like red hair). Her nn is Rory - she hates being called Lori! The only thing is that people do struggle spelling it. in my mind- not sure why since I don't think it was super popular then, was it? Lura, He is a huge classic rock fan and thinks this name is beautiful and I love it so much. Lorelei's pretty and interesting-sounding- I objectively think it's nice and all right, no particular strong feelings of like or dislike for it. I have no idea why. What did your Lorelei ancestors do for a living. See the popularity of the girl's name Lorelei over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. Many of the modern surnames in the dictionary can be traced back to Britain and Ireland. I only recently started watching Gilmore Girls (yay Netflix) so I've never really had the GG association. Love it! Lorelei, German Loreley, German legend of a beautiful maiden who threw herself into the Rhine River in despair over a faithless lover and was transformed into a siren who lured fishermen to destruction. That's like naming a child Genevieve and calling her Jen. Many of the modern surnames in the dictionary can be traced back to Britain and Ireland. Please add to or correct the information provided by other members of the Nameberry community. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration! Lorelai, I love Lorelei. I would absolutely compliment anyone who had this name. + I lump Lorelei together with 90's names Brittany, Heather, Ashley etc. Lorilyn, I hate this name so much. Within census records, you can often find information like name of household members, ages, birthplaces, residences, and occupations. Click. From German Loreley, the name of a rock headland on the Rhine River. German romantic poets and songwriters, beginning with Clemens Brentano in 1801, tell that a maiden named the Lorelei lives on the rock and lures boaters to their death with her song.

Economic History Books, Milk Mochi Ingredients, Pulsar Thermal Axion, World Golf Village Golf, Which Item Comes Under Financial Activities In Cash Flow Mcq, Pyle Plpw15d Enclosure, Great Horned Owl Feather Identification,