b. Matthew 21:12-17 … If we should listen to anyone, we should listen to Jesus. Minor Prophets The Old Testament But the first coming of Jesus did not bring the great and dreadful day of the Lord. Cast in a hook: Peter was a professional fisherman who used nets, not a hook and a line. Downloads Male Voice (MP3) Female Voice (MP3) Entire Book (PDF) Text Settings. Now while they were staying in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men, and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up.” And they were exceedingly sorrowful. i. Yet Jesus also recognized the importance of avoiding needless controversy, and so was willing to pay the tax so as to not offend those who questioned. “After ad 70, when the temple was destroyed, the Romans diverted this tax to the temple of Jupiter in Rome, after which it ceased to be a matter of patriotism and became a symbol of their subjection to a pagan power; the fact that the story is nonetheless recorded is one of the incidental indications that Matthew’s Gospel should be dated before ad 70.” (France). iv. Their failure was in fact good for them. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands.” Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist. “Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. To be successful in a battle against demons, there must be trust in the Lord God who has complete authority over the demons. (John 17:24), ii. His season of ministry before the cross was coming to an end, and perhaps He felt frustration that the disciples did not have more faith. The fault lay in the disciples. The question assumes that he does pay regularly, and Peter agrees.” (France). i. (Mat 17:27) Jesus pays the tax anyway, and by miraculous provision. 3. Visit our library of inductive Bible studies for more in depth inductive studies on this and other books of the Bible you can use in your small group. e. This kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting: We show our faith in and reliance on God through prayer and fasting. “How selfish the one thought, ‘It is good for us!‘ What was to be done for the rest of the twelve, and for the other disciples, and for the wide, wide world?” (Spurgeon). 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. A. Jesus is transfigured. Yet most people today have never heard of John Gill. b. From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers? “He that would overcome the devil in certain instances must first overcome heaven by prayer, and conquer himself by self-denial.” (Spurgeon). This is unfortunate, since his works contain priceless gems of information that are found nowhere except in the ancient writings of the Jews. But that is not religion – that is escapism. -------------------- From this cloud of glory, God the Father spoke. “They were confounded at their want of success-but not at their want of faith, which was the cause of their miscarriage!” (Clarke). of (Mat 17:1-2) The transformation of Jesus before His disciples. With such a Son the Lord had no need of children. of Scripture. i. Yet John said, We beheld His glory. Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first? Others have suggested that He did it because these three needed closer supervision than the others. a. Matthew also has to deal with misconceptions about Jesus and his purpose. Nevertheless, lest we offend them: Jesus was not obligated to pay this tax under the principle He had just discussed with Peter; that as a son, not a servant, He did not have to pay this temple tax. Please see Blue Letter Bible's Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. A mercy sometimes seems to come to out of the hand of God with more difficulty, and wrestling for it.” (Poole), ii. Add Bookmark. 3. i. Theoretically, when the experience was over, there would have been only Moses. i. Footnotes. Faith looks away to itself to the object of faith, even to Christ.” (Spurgeon), ii. Hear Him! Major Prophets The Gospels No one can decide.” (Spurgeon). His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Yet now that Jesus has come, Moses and Elijah can fade into their supportive roles, and never be put on the same level as Jesus. As man he pays, but first as God he causes the fish to bring him the shekel in its mouth.” (Spurgeon). And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you.”. Bookmarks Edit. Since the disciples had been given the authority to cast out demons before (Matthew 10:8), apparently this demon was more difficult than most. The Blue Letter Bible ministry and the BLB Institute hold to the historical, c. Because of your unbelief: Jesus laid the inability of the disciples to cast out the demon at their unbelief. iii. Presented here is a verse by verse exposition of the New Testament. a. Moses and Elijah: Remarkably, these two Old Testament persons appeared and spoke with the transfigured Jesus. Their question may go like this: “Jesus, we know that Elijah comes first before the Messiah. ii. Great prayer and fasting also display earnestness before God that brings answer to prayer. “If the Father says, ‘This is my Son,’ observe the graciousness of our adoption! i. No man can see his face and live. b. Arise, and do not be afraid: The disciples were once again uniquely in awe of Jesus. There the King in His heavenly glory; here the representatives of baffled and beaten faith.” (Morgan), iv. i. “There the mountain; now the valley. By proceeding, you consent to our cookie usage. ii. ©2013 David Guzik – No distribution beyond personal use without permission [A previous revision of this page can be found here]. Read Matthew 17 commentary using John Gill's Exposition of the Bible. WORD AND PHRASE STUDY. Prophets Matthew Poole argued that this tribute at this time was only required of Jesus and Peter because it was the collection from the city of Capernaum, and only Peter and Jesus were at this time residents of Capernaum. “The eye cannot see itself. Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. “If Peter be our master, let us call him so; if Calvin be our master, let us call him so; and if Wesley be our master, let us call him so; but if we be disciples of Jesus, then let us follow Jesus, and follow him with other men only so far as we perceive they followed Christ.” (Spurgeon). How long shall I bear with you? He is not merely another or even a better lawgiver or prophet. “For Christ to be glorious was almost a less matter than for him to restrain or hide his glory. i. i. (Matthew 17:1) Luke makes the time interval "eight days" (Luke 9:28); but there is no discrepancy from Mark and Matthew. Johannine Writings Essentially this was not a new miracle, but the temporary cessation of an ongoing one. Minor Prophets At first, this might have seemed to be the best – why not all three? Wisdom Literature GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation. (1-2) The transformation of Jesus before His disciples. b. Jews of that day wanted a ruling a Messiah, not one who would suffer for their sins. Little faith can accomplish great things; but great faith can accomplish even greater things. Perhaps Jesus did this to prevent the account of this amazing miracle being told of before the time was right (Matthew 17:9). Pauline Epistles “Another thing which we may learn from our Lord Jesus Christ having shown himself to his apostles thus robed in brightness is, that we are scarcely aware of the glory of which the human body is capable.” (Spurgeon). After six days: “Luke’s ‘about eight days after Jesus said this’ (Luke 9:28) is based on a Greek way of speaking and means ‘about a week later’.” (Carson). Jesus, who did not actually owe the price, paid it nevertheless – and at the same time, with the same price, paid for Peter as well. Pauline Epistles It might have been that after the events of the transfiguration, all three remained. “Matthew describes the boy by the verb seleniazesthai, which literally means to be moonstruck.” (Barclay), ii. “There are some things which are obtained by a stronger faith, and by more fervent and importunate prayers, than others are. General Epistles Pauline Epistles We know You are the Messiah, yet we just saw Elijah, and it seems that he came after You.”.

Types Of Medicine Courses, Where Can I Buy Old El Paso Burrito Seasoning, Salted Caramel Mousse Cake Recipe, Singapore Education System Flaws, Jacks 321 Deficiency, Birch Round Dining Table, Tools Of Recombinant Dna Technology, What Are Dissonant Chords, Met Office Weather Chagford,