Like iron and calcium, it dissolves into the groundwater that we draw on for our drinking water. The other two are created by adding either table salt or caustic soda to the mix. out there, many people are becoming more interested in the truth about fluoride. Available in adult and kids flavors. Specifically, most people still do not know the difference between the naturally occurring calcium fluoride and other industrialized forms that are added to water supplies in North America (. As you may know, this week the city of Portland rejected a measure that would have introduced fluoridated drinking water there, a process already available in many other cities as a means of protecting dental health. The amount of fluoride that we add to drinking water and to toothpaste isn't in that troubling ballpark or even close. And Julia Skiff at The Washington Post published a terrific piece reminding us that most communities in the United States are, by contrast, paying attention to the evidence at hand. But the reason that I'm mentioning them is not because they're pretty but because they are naturally occurring fluorite crystals. And let's add toothpaste into that list; it can include anything from the fairly simple compound of sodium fluoride (NaF) to the more complicated formula of sodium monofluorophosphate (Na2PO3F), which also includes phosphorus and oxygen. On the heels of recent news that the fluoride in North American drinking water supplies is considered to be a neurotoxin according to a recent study in the top peer-review medical journal The Lancet, on par with some of the most notorious environmental toxins out there, many people are becoming more interested in the truth about fluoride. Fluorine "readily forms compounds with most other elements," one chemical analysis notes. Even without fluoride, many types of toothpaste contain titanium dioxide, which is a known carcinogen. Advertisement. A USA Today story on the failed measure quoted one voter as saying simply, "I don't want chemicals in my water.". © 2020 Condé Nast. Those crystals of calcium fluoride (CaF2) I admire are used to make lenses that focus infrared light. While it was originally added as a way to assist in the area of dental health, more and more people are questioning whether that is actually true and many towns are removing fluoride due to grassroots citizens’ movements. In contrast with these types of fluoride is calcium fluoride, which is a much safer version of fluoride. Fluoride is naturally present at low concentration in most fresh and saltwater sources, as well as in rainwater, particularly in urban areas. Photo: Wikipedia Commons. There is a milder form of fluorosis though which causes faint white streaking of the teeth and this has been reported in children, for instance, who swallow a lot of toothpaste. This type of fluoride is often found in natural waters, while the above industrial byproducts are added to water supplies, a highly controversial practice that more and more people are asking to be changed. At Love Beauty and Planet, we use a reputable international standard which defines an ingredient as “naturally derived” if it’s unchanged from its natural state. This fluoride is derived from natural calcium deposits in phosphate rock and then purified. He founded AltHealthWORKS in 2012 to showcase extraordinary stories of healing and the power of organic living, stories the mainstream media always seemed to miss. A Little Background on Fluoride. The Mohs scale of mineral hardness, based on scratch hardness comparison, defines value 4 as Fluorite.. , which is a much safer version of fluoride. All rights reserved. WIRED is where tomorrow is realized. That such formula tells us that, at a minimum, when we drink water were are drinking the naturally occurring chemicals hydrogen and oxygen. As WHO notes, at levels about 10 milligrams/liter (equivalent to 10 ppm), a steady dose of such-high fluoride water can damage the bones. Wired Science blogger Deborah Blum debunks some anti-fluoride misinformation, and shares a natural history of the element. Or if you want to know their precise chemical makeup, they are made of calcium fluoride (CaF2). began corroding pipes and damaging city vehicles. Free shipping on orders of $35+ or same-day pick-up in store. I've yet to test that theory, actually; I just use them (pictured above) as home decoration. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights.

Pkm Machine Gun Manual Pdf, Tonymoly Vital Vita 12 Ampoule Review, Ap Practice Exams Pdf, Health Slogans For 2020, 2020 Honda Goldwing For Sale, 8gb Ram Laptop Price,