An entertaining, personal, and entirely original examination of a vocation no less essential for being impossible. See all the pieces in the Slate Book Review. 'Many more people agree they hate poetry,' Ben Lerner writes, 'than can agree what poetry is. Macmillan. He examines poetry's greatest haters (beginning with Plato's famous claim that an ideal city had no place for poets, who would only corrupt and mislead the young) and both its greatest and worst practitioners, providing inspired close readings of Keats, Dickinson, McGonagall, Whitman, and others. Ben Lerner was born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1979. It shows. Find books by time period, setting & theme, Read-alike suggestions by book and author. Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series. Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Graham Holdings Company. summary and reviews of the hatred of poetry by ben lerner. The Hatred of Poetry By Ben Lerner (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 86pp., $12) Ben Lerner’s The Hatred of Poetry is a slim book with a husky premise: “The fatal problem with poetry: poems.” This is Lerner’s first book since winning a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship in 2015 for his two widely celebrated novels. Told over and over that we are all poets (we just didn’t know it! If you value our work, please disable your ad blocker. In most cases, the reviews are necessarily limited to those that were available to us ahead of publication. Just $12 for 3 months or Lerner's brief, elegant treatise on what poetry might do and why readers might need it is the perfect length for a commute or a classroom assignment, clearing a space for both private contemplation and lively discussion." If you are the publisher or author and feel that the reviews shown do not properly reflect the range of media opinion now available, please send us a message with the mainstream media reviews that you would like to see added. The Hatred of Poetry (Book) : Lerner, Ben : The novelist and poet Ben Lerner argues that our hatred of poetry is ultimately a sign of its nagging relevance. Slate relies on advertising to support our journalism. . More Books, Published in USA  Or we will next time! Join Slate Plus to continue reading, and you’ll get unlimited access to all our work—and support Slate’s independent journalism. Lerner examines people's distrust of poetry (including poets') as stemming from the gap between the idea poem and its (always failed) actualization. - Kirkus. His second novel, 10:04, an international bestseller, won The Paris Review's 2012 Terry Southern Prize, was a finalist for the 2014 New York Public Library's Young Lions Fiction Award and the Folio Prize, and was named one of the best books of 2014 by more than a dozen major publications. Jun 2016 Throughout, he attempts to explain the noble failure at the heart of every truly great and truly horrible poem: the impulse to launch the experience of an individual into a timeless communal existence. Adults are eager, Lerner asserts, to return to that time of nursery rhymes, when language was rich in possibility, when meaning was still something to be discovered.” —Ben Purkert, The Rumpus “The Hatred of Poetry does a brilliant job showing how poets ‘strategically disappoint’ our assumptions about what the medium should do . [Lerner’s] granular, giddy analysis of Scottish bard William Topaz McGonagall, ‘widely acclaimed as the worst poet in history,’ fascinates as the negative expression of a Parnassian ideal. “I, too, dislike it.” At one point, he calls the words “a kind of manic, mantric affirmation.” Say it soft and it’s almost like praying. Reviews | I loved Annalisa Quinn’s witty pan of Hatred of Poetry for NPR, but I don’t agree that Lerner’s dressed up a personal vendetta in scholarly language—again, I reject the premise that Lerner actually dislikes poetry. book marks reviews of the hatred of poetry by ben lerner. It's even bemoaned by poets: "I, too, dislike it," wrote Marianne Moore. Lerner is a professor of English at Brooklyn College. Elizabeth Bishop connected verse to “the art of losing,” a creative pursuit for virtuosos who “practice losing farther, losing faster,” falling away and away from Keats’ crystalline melody, down the stairway to heaven, headlong into the dungheap of the actual. That’s enough for us. Engaging . Stories from Suffragette Cityby M.J. Rose & Fiona Davis (editors), One City.One Movement.A World of Stories. The Hatred of Poetry Quotes Showing 1-9 of 9. Toward the climactic end of the book, Lerner discusses a typographic mark called a virgule, the slash that appears in prose to represent poetic line breaks. hate poems poems for hate poem hunter poetry. They evoke the elusive idea of poetry. All contents © 2020 The Slate Group LLC. All rights reserved. No art has been denounced as often as poetry. He has also published three poetry collections: The Lichtenberg Figures, Angle of Yaw, and Mean Free Path. Lerner’s slapstick instincts make this spill—hardly a novel concept in life or literature—mercilessly funny. “Poetry arises from the desire to get beyond the finite and the historical—the human world of violence and difference—and to reach the transcendent or divine. The Hatred of Poetry takes its title (more or less) from a quote from Marianne Moore at the beginning: "I too, hate poetry". The genre’s problem is bound up in its soaring ambition, its intent to render the intensely personal tones of a writer’s inner life somehow intelligible and world-transfiguring to all. Maybe poetry remains atmospheric and diffuse, a lambent quality in the air. O when you people say you hate it I want to gather you into my arms as you beat my chest and scream I hate it I hate it I hate it and I want to whisper to you over and over again that I, too, hate it until we put our tongues in each other’s mouths. 96 pages (He’s penned three verse collections alongside his novels Leaving the Atocha Station and 10:04.) This information about The Hatred of Poetry shown above was first featured It's even bemoaned by poets- 'I, too, dislike it,' wrote Marianne Moore. The Hatred of Poetry by Ben Lerner. text publishing the hatred of poetry book by ben lerner. All rights reserved. Recommended for anyone interested in poetry." He cannot dissolve human “violence and difference,” especially by retreating into his specific perceptions; he can only serve as “a placeholder for democratic personhood,” one that “cannot become actual without becoming exclusive.” Claudia Rankine, serving up prosy blocks of deadened description, like the transcript of a story told by a PTSD patient, makes us feel the “unavailability of traditional lyric categories; the instruction to read her writing as poetry—and especially as lyric poetry—catalyzes an experience of their loss, like a sensation in a phantom limb.”.

Kitchenaid Cutter Attachment, Bush Somerset File Cabinet, Trestles Castle Rock, Prs 35th Anniversary S2 Custom 24 Dark Cherry Sunburst, Variegated Kumquat Tree,