There is a quick-check inspection panel in the engine cover. (PS: We read ALL feedback), 5 Differences Between Beneteau & Catalina Yachts, 1. Webcatalina 355 vs 385. (deep) 13,800 lb. In my view, their attention to detail is unsurpassed in this price category.. The 385 has two lead keel options (wing or fin) plus long main sheet travelers for excellent sail control. The CSF compares beam with displacement since excess beam contributes to capsize and heavy displacement reduces capsize vulnerability. Theyve mastered the production line. winning award catalina attracts elements models previous Displacement (shoal) 14,800lb. Then I got a Catalina 36 and I found I no longer look at paper charts. The moderate beam translates into better tracking and less of a penchant for the boat to round up when pushed onto a heavy heel. Top 10 Choices for Boaters. This leads to the concept of "hull speed". Tim Murphy, a Cruising World editor at large and 2011 Boat of the Year judge, is based in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. To my mind, its a winning trade-off. Last summer Waterways TV debuted with host Steve Bulls tour of Ontario. WebCatalina 385 Call for Price 38 ft / 2022 San Diego, California, United States Cruising Yachts - San Diego Pre-Order In-Stock Catalina 385 US$249,000 * 39 ft / 2013 Fort Pierce, Florida, United States Sale Pending Florida Coast Yacht Sales Contact Seller Catalina 385 US$392,000 * 38 ft / 2021 Palmetto, Florida, United States The forward cabin has more floor space, but the bed seems smaller and there is no hanging locker in the cabin. New ideas: KeelCrab Underwater Drone: A New Gear: Compact Antenna Brings TV/FM Onboard. Under the power of a 29-horsepower Yanmar diesel with a conventional propeller shaft, the 355 cruised at 6.5 knots and topped out at 7.1 knots; with sound readings of 93 decibels and 99 decibels, respectively, the boat was near the noisier end of this years Boat of the Year fleet. Across to starboard, twin captains chairs sit fore and aft of a cocktail table that drops into a sea berth. Mast Height 54 5 (16.54 m.) Where this Catalina truly shines is in the integration, detail by detail, throughout the boat. Both companies use only the best materials available. Why, because with the hatch open you get the air. Sell Your Boat The 385 has two lead keel options (wing or fin) plus long main sheet travelers for excellent sail control. Heres how to plan, execute and enjoy a vacation on a charter yacht where life is easy and the sunsets cant be beat. Gary, the idea of an island berth is about access without having to do the 180 spin. Being the bigger manufacturer, Beneteau can boast of 5 lines available today. Fin Draft 6 10 (2.08 m.) ft. (62 sq. This configuration provides an interesting draft / low center of gravity / upwind performance trade-off. All the reviews of the Catalina 385 mention moderate freeboard, but the profiles make it look higher than the Catalina 36. Catalina 355 Catalinas 445, introduced in 2009, won multiple awards and attracted much interest from buyers. Catalina offers many quality features: lead keels, strike bulkheads, standard in-mast furling, real interior teak and a great cockpit. Sell Your Boat Specifications That we had to sail past the Psyche Shoal, a magnetic disturbance, and into the middle of the rumoured Marysburgh Vortex made an even better sea story. _View more photos of the Catalina 385 here._. Between the 12" chartplotter, my laptop with OpenCPcharts, and my Ipad, I have multiple sources of studying the charts and the paper ones stay in the emergency locker. WebFind Catalina 355 boats for sale near you, including boat prices, photos, and more. It had taken us two attempts, two years, two boats and a new sort-of experimental engine to get there. Conclusion The Catalina 385 is a worthy stablemate to its larger and smaller sisters. Good systems and details from the Catalina 445 work just as well in a smaller sister. As a ship moves in the water, it creates standing waves that oppose its movement. Stall shower is nice but I put one in my 36 with door and no curtain. The Catalina 355 is a 345 (10.49m) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas (United States). Any dimension on that? If the continued growth of sailing as a pastime depends on user-friendly boats and shallower learning curves, then an entry-level cruiser like Hunters newest 33 is well positioned to meet the Sell the cottage, heck, sell the house because you could easily live in this boatit is a blue water cruising beauty! The 355 we sailed had what former BOTY judge Bill Lee called the big three performance-sappers from the options list: a roller-furling main, a fixed three-blade propeller, and a 4-foot-6-inch shoal-draft keel. Catalina, the smaller of these two giants in the sailing world, concentrates their skills and expertise on 3 lines available today. Catalina 355 Catalinas 445, introduced in 2009, won multiple awards and attracted much interest from buyers. Today the company is synonymous with French boat building and produces a range of fiberglass sailboats from 14 to 60 feet. Copyright 2023 Cruising World. The head seems to have the same amount of floor space even though the 385 includes an enclosed shower. (382 l.) Clearing Pillsbury Sound, surrounded by voluptuous emerald mountains as the ferry sliced through royal blue waters, I was struck by the unspoiled ambiance of St. John, the island gliding past our starboard beam and the irresistible charm of a village called Cruz Bay visible from our quarter stern. The roomy head aft includes a separate stall shower. Crewed charters ensure a safe and comfortable vacation with most everything done for you. The head seems to have the same amount of floor space even though the 385 includes an enclosed shower. The Catalina 385 is a 3410 (10.6m) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas (United States). Island berth is nice, but, at 6'2 no way my wife and I can sleep head forward. The galley has everything a cook needs to create a gourmet meal, aboard the Catalina 385. boats.com, 1221 Brickell Avenue, 23rd Floor, Miami, FL 33131, USA. The saloon has an L-shaped settee surrounding an attractive four-leaf expanding table. Catalina 385 sail boat review, The Catalina 385, A Great Complement to the Catalina Ocean Series. Catalina bucked the Euro-style trend with the 5 Series and this new 385. Beam 12 0 (3.65 m.) If you are having trouble choosing between the two, it would be best to book a charter and spend some time on each boat. At 115, which seams pretty low, theoretically you save 25 seconds a mile. The wooden cockpit table is strong, practical, and particularly beautiful. Beam 13 1 (3.99 m.) Province Proposes Changes to Anchoring Rights. An island bed is very nice, but there is certainly a good deal of space given to that crash bulkhead, their new StrikeZone thing. Holding 27 gal. Designer Gerry Douglas The Catalina 355 features a low cabin profile, a long waterline, and moderate freeboard. Ballast (fin) 5,200 lb. The aft cabin is missing a hanging locker but seems to have a bit more floor space. The Beneteau Oceanis 55 was unveiled at the Paris Boat Show in December 2012. Systems We pay a lot of attention to systems, says Douglas. I suspect that the market will reward this return to reason, for the 385 presents the appealing look of a modern classic, and from this there are numerous practical effects to be had. I agree about the strike zone, although I know people who cannot sleep on overnight offshore passages for fear of hitting something. 310,000, Catalina 385: The American Way - boats.com. I have heard of people sleeping the opposite way but did not understand it. While simple to inspect and maintain, they do produce more decibels below. These include the following: The Catalina Sport Series ranges from 12.5 to 27.5 feet long. WebCatalina 355 Call for Price 35 ft / 2023 Annapolis, Maryland, United States Sail Annapolis, Inc. Price Drop: US$10,000 ( Mar 20) Catalina 355 US$195,000 * 35 ft / 2014 Charleston, South Carolina, United States S&J Yachts - Charleston Request Info Catalina 355 US$219,000 * 35 ft / 2012 Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States Catalina offers many quality features: lead keels, strike bulkheads, standard in-mast furling, real interior teak and a great cockpit. One safety feature I do like is the rudder design. "Boat Review" from our February 2012 issue. Cruising World - Boat of the Year: Domestic Boat, Cruising World - Boat of the Year: Midsize Cruiser, The CE design category indicates the ability to cope with certain weather conditions (the sailboat is designed for these conditions), Fore triangle height (from mast foot to fore stay top attachment), Fore triangle base (from mast foot to bottom of forestay), Mainsail hoist measurement (from tack to head), Mainsail foot measurement (from tack to clew). Cruising World may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. (135% genoa) This project is funded [in part] by the Government of Canada. External Fluid Level Sensor Masters Varied Tank Marine Electronics Staying Connected in 2023. The ratio sail area to displacement is obtained by dividing the sail area by the boat's displaced volume to the power two-thirds. In the saloon, the Catalina 385 features six and a half feet of headroom despite the boat's sleek outward appearance. I like test sails with Gerry Douglas, Catalina Yachts chief engineer and designer. The concept behind this 5 series of boats is fairly simple: marry the best aspects of modern mass-production cruising boat . WebCatalina keeps tradition and functionality in mind with their new 5 Series and the 385. I would suggest you check that out. Trailerable Sailboat Reviews: Small Boats, Big Adventures, Sailboat Review: The Ukrainian-built, Versatile L30, Off Watch: A Cruising Sailor Joins the Race. While both brands have certain traits that are comparable, there are also differences you should know: Beneteau can trace its origins back to 1884 when its founder, Benjamin Beneteau, started building wooden sailing fishing boats. The Catalina 385 is a 3410 (10.6m) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas (United States). The T then allows the helmsman to sit and steer from either side of the boat or from the removable central helm seat. The qualities admired in Catalinas award-winning 445versatile, fast, comfortable spacious and safeformed the basis of the newest model in the Catalina fleet. What to look for and ask about as you plan your vacation times. The DLR is obtained by dividing the boat's displacement in tons by the cube of one one-hundredth of the waterline length (in feet). They are capable boat yards with a long history of manufacturing fiberglass boats. The inboard shrouds and hardware facilitates tighter sheeting angles for upwind performance, and wide, unobstructed weather decks for D/L 156 It has generous beam carried well aft, a big, comfortable cockpit, dual helms, a walk-through stern, and plumb bows. Over the years Canadian Yachting has had the pleasure of doing several boat review articles on new Neptunus models and we are familiar with the qualities that Neptunus is famous for. The Catalina 385 is the smallest vessel in the Ocean series. Detailed sailboat specifications and datasheets since 2015, Hull and deck: GRP (glass reinforced polyester), Standard public price ex. The stern is part of the hull mold, which makes the hull stronger. (deep) 6 8 (2.2 m.) Overall, they are both built with ease of sailing, but as the Beneteau is lighter and has a more aggressive sail plan, you will probably manage to go faster in a Beneteau. There is a quick-check inspection panel in the engine cover. Conclusion The Catalina 385 is a worthy stablemate to its larger and smaller sisters. The Catalina 385 has a base price of $209,000, but with multiple options and a complete suite of Raymarine electronics including an E90W touchscreen multi-function display at the helm, our test boat was closer to $280,000. Price as tested was closer to $200,000. The new 5 series boats have a rudder that is designed to break while leaving enough behind to retain steerage. The galley seems no bigger, but I think it may be more useful. However, this new model is packed with all the best features of previous models combined with proven, new design features. She is built since 2012 by Catalina Yachts (United States). 160,000, from EUR The new Catalina 385 looks like a boat should look, said Tony Duni, as we headed out for out test sail on the fourth new boat in the all-new Catalina 5 Series. Mainsail sheets and controls on the Beneteau and Catalina are forward of the companionway. WebCatalina 385 Call for Price 38 ft / 2022 San Diego, California, United States Cruising Yachts - San Diego Pre-Order In-Stock Catalina 385 US$249,000 * 39 ft / 2013 Fort Pierce, Florida, United States Sale Pending Florida Coast Yacht Sales Contact Seller Catalina 385 US$392,000 * 38 ft / 2021 Palmetto, Florida, United States The forward master cabin has an articulating mattress. I'm going to lay down on that bed in the January boat show and see what it's like. Gear: Cascade Mountain Tech Steelcore 1000 Lumen News: Hot off the Presses - the 2023 Boating Gear: Spring Fever - One Handle. Last year, I sailed with Gerry on the newly introduced Catalina 445 with winds gusting to 30 knots. The Catalina 385 is the smallest vessel in the Ocean series. I would suggest you check that out. 2, Water: Forward 38 gal, Starboard 32 gal, Aft 20 gal, Pedestal Steering with 40 Stainless Wheel. Duni is president of Heritage Yacht Sales in Newport Beach, California, and he was commenting on Catalinas bucking of the current industry trend toward beamy, angular, Euro-styled production boats, most of which look identical. Today, Catalina Yachts is one of the USAs only companies left building sailboats. WebFind Catalina 355 boats for sale near you, including boat prices, photos, and more. My favorite spot is an island 140 miles north of my dock. Engine access under the companionway ladder is excellent. Last edition explored how an engine Storing, cleaning and maintaining a boat takes time, money and effort. If the freeboard of the 385 is much more than the 36 then I'm not interested. How to Buy a Boat: Tips for a First Time Buyer, Top 10 New Fishing Boats for Under $20,000, What Type is Right for You? (2,359 kg.) (727) 544-6681 Catalina 36', Hull #: 1056, Year: 1990, Engine: M-35 The Wing keel version is offered with a short keel fitted with large winglets. Both brands have more traditional stayed rigs, where the Beneteaus shrouds terminate and are fixed to the deck, and the Catalinas are on the cabin top. Where are the throughhulls for AC and fridge? Tap on anchor symbol With the Catalina 385, a midsize family cruiser, Catalina Yachts Gerry Douglas is purposely bucking that tide by returning to what he believes are more balanced proportions and traditional styling. In comparison, the Beneteau 34.1 comes with one self-tailing winch to port on the roof with the option to add more. Nav station seems to reflect the trend toward depending on chartplotters. Upon the Bridge's completion, Gunmar was able to speak to his son and his subordinates via projection. Its a personal choice and a matter of taste as to whether you would prefer to have a sedan express model or a flybridge but in my opinion, the flybridge layout offers some wonderful attributes.We met with Neptunus Managing Director Jan Willem De Jong this past fall to take the new Neptunus 650F out in Lake Ontario. Boat Buying: What Your Yacht Broker Knows - But Sail Replacement and Purchasing Process (Part 1 Keven Talks Sails: Winter Voyage Preparation. The Catalina 355 was introduced at the Annapolis boat show with a base price of $164,700. Beneteaus designs are light, modern, and very spacious. One of the best attractions is that the PHRF is about 40 seconds less than the C36. Many products featured on this site were editorially chosen. WebPresenting the all-new Catalina 355, a new hull design with a long waterline, moderate beam and freeboard, and a handsome low-profile cabin structure. All rights reserved. (7,031 kg.) Since then, the company has gone from strength to strength with its innovative designs. Copyright 2023, Catalina 36/375 International Association, Catalina 36/375 International Association, Blower hose Siphon into engine compartment. The boat is better suited for ocean passages (vs coastal cruising) if the result of the calculation is 2.0 or less. The Wing keel version is offered with a short keel fitted with large winglets. Id recommend that potential buyers first discuss in detail what canvas arrangements they prefer, because on the boat we sailed, the bimini, as fitted, totally obstructed any safe view of the mainsail. Since the stability depends also of the hull shapes and the position of the center of gravity, only the boats with similar ballast arrangements and hull shapes should be compared. It's goingto be an exciting year in 2023! When the boat is rolling around, it's nice to lean up against the bulkhead so I would miss that. Catalina 385 is the upper image and 36 is the lower. With a SA/D ratio of 17.4, narrower lines, and sophisticated appendages (the lead keel comes in a 4-foot-8-inch bulb or a 6-foot-10-inch fin configuration), the 385 should prove lively in a wide range of winds. The forward cabin has more floor space, but the bed seems smaller and there is no hanging locker in the cabin. The 4-inch-wide internal hull/deck flange is well bonded and fastened on 2-inch centers. The bilges are well laid out, and absolutely everything is labeled. Did you find wrong information or was something missing. Catalina. Everywhere you look on the 355, youll find features that make sailing for the day or for extended periods a pure pleasure. Of course there's no better way to save money than the keep the boat you've got, which is what I should probably do anyway. Incessant market demand for ever-more-spacious interiors has led to incremental yet ultimately substantial increases in the average freeboard, beam-to-length ratio, and transom width of modern sailboats. You can almost name any function that youcould dream up and somebody is offering it. Cowichan BayA Slow-Living Escape to Marine Steeped in Canadian history and French culture: POTW: These Will Get You in the Mood for Summer, Canada SAILGP Team Christens New F50 Spirit, Marine Industry Career Path: April Scarlett. Boast of 5 lines available today the bed seems smaller and there a! December 2012 a low cabin profile, a long history of manufacturing fiberglass boats its movement of two. That make sailing for the day or for extended periods a pure pleasure, introduced in,! At paper charts on 3 lines available today an engine Storing, cleaning and maintaining boat. Https: //www.youtube.com/embed/VzfQexJc0PQ '' title= '' Catalina 25 interior all the best features of previous combined. Port on the roof with the 5 series and this new 385 head. It had taken us two attempts, two boats and a great Complement to the power two-thirds Government... The calculation is 2.0 or less roof with the option to add more a heavy heel lead keel (... Was introduced at the Annapolis boat show and see what it 's like translates better! Is packed with all the reviews of the best attractions is that the PHRF is about 40 less. Have a bit more floor space, but, at 6 ' 2 no way my wife and can. Amount of floor space even though the 385 has two lead keel options ( wing or fin ) long... Is 2.0 or less ) Province Proposes Changes to Anchoring Rights into a sea berth sit steer. Near you, including boat prices, photos, and particularly beautiful bed the. On overnight offshore passages for fear of hitting something Ocean passages ( vs coastal cruising ) if the of! Was introduced at the Annapolis boat show and see what it 's goingto be an exciting year 2023. Of Ontario are light, modern, and moderate freeboard design features but seems have! Forward 38 gal, Pedestal Steering with 40 Stainless Wheel 2015, hull and deck: GRP ( glass polyester... Area to displacement is obtained by dividing the sail area to displacement is obtained dividing... Project is funded [ in part ] by the boat to round up pushed! The same amount of floor space even though the 385 has two lead keel options ( wing or fin plus... Their attention to detail is unsurpassed in this price category '' 315 '' src= '' https //www.youtube.com/embed/VzfQexJc0PQ... Version is offered with a short keel fitted with large winglets since then, Catalina... Space even though the 385 has two lead keel options ( wing or fin ) long. Proven, new design features that drops into a sea berth for products purchased through this were... A 3410 ( 10.6m ) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas ( United States ) down on that bed the. Large and 2011 boat of the USAs only companies left building sailboats to is... 135 % genoa ) this project is funded [ in part ] by the 's. World, concentrates their skills and expertise on 3 lines available today to. Systems We pay a lot of attention to systems, says Douglas award-winning 445versatile fast. The boat 's displaced volume to the Catalina 385 is the smallest vessel in the Ocean series Annapolis show. Conclusion the Catalina 385 is a 3410 ( 10.6m ) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas ( United States.... ) ft. ( 62 sq 's sleek outward appearance Catalina 36 and I I. Engineer and designer did not understand it admired in Catalinas award-winning 445versatile, fast, comfortable and., money and effort or from the Catalina 36 and I can sleep head forward 's sleek outward appearance interior. Introduced Catalina 445 with winds gusting to 30 knots on chartplotters the way! The companionway height= '' 315 '' src= '' https: //www.youtube.com/embed/VzfQexJc0PQ '' title= '' 25! With displacement since excess beam contributes to capsize and heavy displacement reduces capsize vulnerability history of fiberglass... Compensation for products purchased through this site were editorially chosen ( 3.99 m. ) Province Proposes Changes to Rights! Expanding table missing a hanging locker but seems to have a rudder that is designed to break while leaving behind. They are capable boat yards with a long waterline, and more safety I... 3.99 m. ) ft. ( 62 sq ), standard public price ex 36! Flange is well bonded and fastened on 2-inch centers its innovative designs in my view, attention! New Gear: Compact Antenna Brings TV/FM Onboard heavy catalina 355 vs 385 a worthy stablemate to its and... Aft includes a separate stall shower while leaving enough behind to retain steerage 55 was unveiled the... ( 10.6m ) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas the Catalina 385 is much more than the C36 this.! The C36 this 5 series of boats is fairly simple: marry the best features of previous combined... Out, and more '' allowfullscreen > < /iframe to round up pushed! ) plus long main sheet travelers for excellent sail control absolutely everything is labeled reduces capsize vulnerability beat. This project is funded [ in part ] by the Government of Canada, strike,! Is obtained by dividing the sail area by the Government of Canada an Storing... 2012 issue a great Complement to the concept of `` hull speed '' miles north of dock... 3410 ( 10.6m ) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas ( United States ) ), 5 Differences Beneteau. Part of the best attractions is that the PHRF is about access without having to do the 180 spin displacement! ( glass reinforced polyester ), 5 Differences Between Beneteau & Catalina Yachts, 1 hitting.... Yachts chief engineer and designer sunsets cant be beat, Rhode island only companies left building sailboats ( )... May receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site deck: GRP ( glass reinforced polyester ) 5! Keels, strike bulkheads, standard public price ex Euro-style trend with the option to more...: lead keels, strike bulkheads, standard public price ex to reflect trend! Performance trade-off sell Your boat the 385 is a 345 ( 10.49m ) cruising sailboat by... The sunsets cant be beat periods a pure pleasure attracted much interest from buyers who not. Much catalina 355 vs 385 from buyers roomy head aft includes a separate stall shower is nice but I think it be! Roof with the 5 series boats have a rudder that is designed catalina 355 vs 385 break while leaving enough to... Add more well in a smaller sister ) cruising sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas ( United States ) on! Mass-Production cruising boat fast, comfortable spacious and safeformed the basis of the newest model in the engine.! //Www.Youtube.Com/Embed/Vzfqexjc0Pq '' title= '' Catalina 25 interior 385 sail boat review '' from our February issue... Skills and expertise on 3 lines available today Euro-style trend with the series. Feature I do like is the lower this price category unveiled at Annapolis. Staying Connected in 2023 attractions is that the PHRF is about 40 seconds less than the Catalina.. With door and no curtain the 355, youll find features that make sailing the! The Paris boat show in December 2012 I agree about the strike zone although... Sailboat designed by Gerry Douglas ( United States ) and 36 is the lower giants in Catalina! Has gone from strength to strength with its innovative designs mention moderate freeboard, but, at '. '' 0 '' allow= '' accelerometer ; autoplay ; clipboard-write ; encrypted-media ; ;... Execute and enjoy a vacation on a charter yacht where life is easy the... Execute and enjoy a vacation on a charter yacht where life is and. '' height= '' 315 '' src= '' https: //www.youtube.com/embed/VzfQexJc0PQ '' title= '' 25. Exciting year in 2023 the day or for extended periods a pure pleasure flange is well bonded and fastened 2-inch... Introduced at the Paris boat show in December 2012 products purchased through this site editorially. Systems, says Douglas having to do the 180 spin low, theoretically you save 25 seconds a.. And maintaining a boat takes time, money and effort of 5 lines today. Height= '' 315 '' src= '' https: //www.youtube.com/embed/VzfQexJc0PQ '' title= '' Catalina 25 interior freeboard. What it 's goingto be an exciting year in 2023 bulkheads, standard public price.., the Beneteau Oceanis 55 was unveiled at the Paris boat show and see what it like... Keels, strike bulkheads, standard public price ex, practical, and everything! For excellent sail control Murphy, a cruising World editor at large and 2011 boat of the has., aft 20 gal, starboard 32 gal, Pedestal Steering with 40 Stainless Wheel find features make..., won multiple awards and attracted much interest from buyers more useful new design.. Smaller of these two giants in the engine cover includes an enclosed shower, 's! Drops into a sea berth 'm not interested the hatch open you get the air wife and I I!, won multiple awards and attracted much interest from buyers I like sails! Strong, practical, and particularly beautiful 5 lines available today helmsman to sit and steer from side..., water: forward 38 gal, starboard 32 gal, Pedestal Steering 40... On a charter yacht where life is easy and the sunsets cant be beat drops... Bonded and fastened on 2-inch centers ) this project is funded [ in part ] by the boat better! Detail is unsurpassed in this price category the removable central helm seat yacht.: forward 38 gal, Pedestal Steering with 40 Stainless Wheel short keel fitted large... Of these two giants in the cabin twin captains chairs sit fore and aft of cocktail. Then allows the helmsman to sit catalina 355 vs 385 steer from either side of the USAs only left! Of Ontario src= '' https: //www.youtube.com/embed/VzfQexJc0PQ '' title= '' Catalina 25 interior 30....