Stay up-to-date on all the latest Rotten Tomatoes news! And we love a historical sewing shot in a movie around here, so I have to include the dressmaker, even if she doesnt get a happy ending. It did leave one wanting more music, but what was there sounded splendid and realistic - the voices young, the ensemble small and harpsichord period. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. Bei der Nutzung unserer Websites und Apps verwenden wir, unsere Websites und Apps fr Sie bereitzustellen, Nutzer zu authentifizieren, Sicherheitsmanahmen anzuwenden und Spam und Missbrauch zu verhindern, und, Ihre Nutzung unserer Websites und Apps zu messen, personalisierte Werbung und Inhalte auf der Grundlage von Interessenprofilen anzuzeigen, die Effektivitt von personalisierten Anzeigen und Inhalten zu messen, sowie, unsere Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu entwickeln und zu verbessern. Klicken Sie auf Alle ablehnen, wenn Sie nicht mchten, dass wir und unsere Partner Cookies und personenbezogene Daten fr diese zustzlichen Zwecke verwenden. Original Title: Interlude In Prague. The Baron can bling it up when he wants to, but the black mask reminds us hes BAD. Zuzanna Luptak, a young and beautiful soprano, is betrothed to Saloka but falls in love with Mozart, and they have a passionate affair. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. [Nice high 1790s collars on the guys! Coming Soon. Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in, Please refresh your browser to be logged in, Amadeus review: Adam Gillen pulls off Mozart with haunting conviction, How Interlude in Prague recreates the sumptuous world of Mozart, 14% off all experiences with this Red Letter Days discount code, 20 extra entries with this Omaze promo code, Extra 20% off selected fashion and sportswear at Very, Get up to 10% off using the Booking.com app, Compare broadband packages side by side to find the best deal for you, Compare cheap broadband deals from providers with fastest speed in your area, All you need to know about fibre broadband, Best Apple iPhone Deals in the UK June 2023, Compare iPhone contract deals and get the best offer this June, Compare the best mobile phone deals from the top networks and brands. But he wears DARK colors and lurks in the shadows, so you know hes BAD. Her work as a scholar-practitioner supplements her authorship with exhibits, events and other outreach activities that engage audiences where they are. This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. I've been following Interlude in Prague ever since I read Variety's article from last April when the film was shoo Just discovered this satisfying Mozart-historical-fiction (a genre I've been hankering for since Amadeus.) However his unconventional presence. Tags1780sAneurin Barnardbig hairgreat hairinspired by a true storyInterlude in Prague (2017)James Purefoymasquerademovies about musiciansMozartnitpick alertPam Downeplaying fast & loose with historyrecycled movie costumessewingskirt-hikingstripes, A self-described ElderGoth, Trystan has been haunting the internet since the early 1990s. We wont be able to verify your ticket today, but its great to know for the future. From interviews with leading industry professionals to world premiere exclusives, she has continued to fill its pages with articles designed to inform, inspire and connect Mozart's audiences around the world. Kendra], [It reminds me of this, minus the embroidery Kendra | Jacket and gilet, c. 1790, Kyoto Costume Institute], [This is very meh to me. There's rarely anything surprising, witty or engaging about the dialogue and the occasional attempt at comic timing is as mannered as the tittle-tattle at the grand ball. Though the dates and locations here are real, the film makes daring use of Mozart's opera to paint a new, fictitious story about the composer, in a similar manner to 1998's Shakespeare in Love. Additional arrangements for Piano by Hybrid. Jun 7, 2019, Runtime: However, Adrian Edmondson was excellent as Herr Lubach, but Dervla Kirwan just grated as his wife. 1788, Mozart escapes Vienna for Prague, but his presence unleashes a series of dramatic events set off by a forbidden love affair with young soprano Zuzana. I kept thinking all these outfits must be rented from more well-known productions, but I only found one on the Recycled Movie Costumes site, and I dont actually recognize any others. [1], In November 2017, the film won a Golden Angel Award for the Best International Co-Production Film at the Chinese American Film Festival.[2]. (Interlude in Prague movie still) O ne of the big perks about working with a huge institution of a museum is every now and again they give you rather weird gifts. Mozart (Aneurin Bernard) is brought to Prague by sinister local aristocrat Baron Saloka (James Purefoy) and Mozart welcomes the chance to escape his fickle audiences in Vienna for a chance of enjoying the unrestrained adulation he gets in Prague as he conducts the closing season of The Marriage of Figaro. Performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus. They didn't even use the climactic scene of Don Giovanni where he must confront the Commendatore. Kendra]. Beautifully directed, lovely music as you'd expect, and lots of insight into Mozart though the gripping story.. Zack Snyder meets Amadeus. The film's central characters are the man himself (Aneurin Barnard), beautiful and gifted young soprano Zuzanna Lubtak (Morfydd Clark), and Baron Saluka (James Purefoy), who from the very first scene does his best to live up to the inevitable adjectives that apply to all barons worthy of the title: cruel & wicked. That said, Mozart feels immediately at home with his new patron, and launches work on a new opera to be staged at the Nostitz Theatre. 2017. Thank you for your comment, Mel! Bravo and Brava for your work :-). It stars Aneurin Barnard, James Purefoy, Samantha Barks, Morfydd Clark, Adrian Edmondson and Anna Rust. Prague, 1787. Library: Free Rent $4.99. Interlude in Prague: An exclusive look into recreating the sumptuous world of Mozart. The interpretation of the music was lacklustre. Tap "Sign me up" below to receive our weekly newsletter Verified reviews are considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers. British director John Stephenson (Five Children And It) has been quoted describing this as a heart in mouth thriller, but the end result feels rather more staid and plodding. But it LOOKED great. 1 h 43 mins. Helen Clare Cromarty, While I understand that stories need conflict, it just seemed too much here, having the film focus on adultery, rape, and murder. History tells us didnt end up with someone called Zuzanna Lubtak, so there goes the tension in their romance. Similar to the stage costumes, but more fabulous wig! Her parents are always dressed well, and again, Im impressed by dad. Zuzanna wears this in several scenes. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. The rooms are looking good enough. By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie. Kendra], [The cut of the dress long sleeves, very fitted, train is perfect for late 1780s Kendra], [A similar effect Kendra | Robe a langlaise ca. Really enjoyed this based on relatively unknown period in Mozart's life when he had an affair and was writing Don Giovanni. Now heres the coolest costume in the movie! M. HD. Mozart travels to Prague, seeking a place where his talent will be truly appreciated. At least the costumes of the male and female characters are fitting together really well (sometimes we see that the girls are living in the 1780s while the boys are living in the 1750s for some reason) and the quality is not too different. director: John Stephenson. Wolfgang Mozart first visited Prague for the month of January in 1787. History, Link to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson: Season 3, Link to All Tom Hanks Movies Ranked by Tomatometer, Link to What to Watch: In Theaters and On Streaming, History, That coat is distinctly late 1780s, almost 1790s, in cut. Tired of demonstrating his talents to a privileged elite, Mozart is brought to the Bohemian city by Baron Saloka, a vain and self-obsessed aristocrat, apparently above the law, who lives a privileged life. Stillking Films. Weitere Informationen darber, wie wir Ihre personenbezogenen Daten nutzen, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklrung und unserer Cookie-Richtlinie. Side part! I love a smokey eye & dark lip! But also, this means plenty of opportunity for pretty female 18th-c. costumes, and thats where the movie delivers. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. Eventually, he becomes overwhelmed by the intrigue that surrounds his work and uses those feelings. Productive Internationals Huw Penallt Jones and Hannah Leader are producing. Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number 01176085; Bauer Radio Limited, Company number: 1394141; Registered office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough PE2 6EA and H Bauer Publishing, Company number: LP003328; Registered office: The Lantern, 75 Hampstead Road, London NW1 2PL, All registered in England and Wales. The film opens with Josefa starring in a performance of The Marriage of Figaro, and as the film progresses, Zuzanna auditions and practices for the part of Cherubino in the opera. Interlude in Prague is a 2017 film about a fictional episode in the life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart that led to his writing the opera Don Giovanni. And Baron Saloka is an out-and-out villain from the outset, so theres no moral dilemma to wrestle with when it comes to Zuzannas potential engagement. DISCLAIMER: Frock Flicks claims no credit for images featured on this site unless noted. I love Mozart, and am very familiar with Le Nozze di Figaro and particularly Don Giovanni. Set in Prague in 1787, the film is an intense and emotional narrative of love, lust and murder. Based on true-life events, it follows the story of a few turbulent months in the short life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart that influenced the creation of the opera Don Giovanni.. To the right lookit the great foppy wigs on the Mr. Foppy Boys! Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart spends a few turbulent months escaping the frustrating, privileged elite of Vienna. The fictionalized plot is based on the true life events of Mozart's visit to Prague in 1787 and centers around the creation of his opera Don Giovanni.. Interlude in Prague, advertised as "Shakespeare in Love-style drama with a Dangerous Liaisons . Kendra], [But its giving me similar vibes to this Kendra | Redingote, 1790, Los Angeles County Museum of Art], [Definitely a weird take on that not-of-the-period-but-interesting falling collar thing Kendra]. Last couple bits Zuzannas mom gets a smart habit for travel. "prologue" literally "a speech beforehand," from pro "before" (see pro-) + logos "discourse,. Basic InfoTitle: Interlude in PragueGenre: Drama, History, MusicCountry: Czech Republic, United KingdomLanguage: EnglishRunning time: 103 minutes Release dat. Running Time: 105 minutes. Saloka, a psychopath, sexual predator and serial rapist, develops an overwhelming hatred that results in callous brutality and murder. I agree with everything you said about the movie and about James (but I was drooling anyway). Moms habit is earlier than 1780s but still solidly 18th-century with those wide skirts & lapels. Interlude in Prague is a 2017 film about a fictional episode in the life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart that led to his writing the opera Don Giovanni. All these actors do a good job, but they're underserved by a script that all too often feels perfunctory and expositionary. Mozarts life and music. In times when even historical figures often get a nonsense story around them (I remember Geliebte Schwestern about Schillers love for the Lengefeld sisters, Goethe! about the young J.W. LONDON Variety has been given exclusive access to the first-look images for "Interlude in Prague," which is shooting in the Czech capital. From interviews with leading industry professionals to world premiere exclusives, she has continued to fill its pages with articles designed to inform, inspire and connect Mozart's audiences around the world. Not that I wouldnt wear it myself. At least the romance isnt as cliched. But this little movie slipped away without much notice, despite a couple well-known actors and high production values. In this respect, hes an awful lot like F. Murray Abrahams Antonio Salieri in 1984s Amadeus but where Salieri was an envious composer, Saloka is a sociopath who craves the limelight and the company of all the local women, regardless of consent. [It very much looks like an early 1790s redingote, like the one on the right Kendra | Journal des Luxus und der Moden, 1792-1793, Svk No. For bibliophiles: I highly recommend the historical fiction novel The Prague Sonata by Bradford Morrow. Josefa has this lovely undress look for breakfast with Wolfgang. (205) 6.2 1 h 43 min 2017 X-Ray 16+. On his arrival, Mozart is happy to have found the one place on Earth where he feels his talent is appreciated and sets about creating a new opera at the Nostitz Theater. The six-week shoot will take place in several Czech locations, including Libochovice Castle, the Nostitz Theater, Chateau Jemniste and the town of Ploskovice. Your AMC Ticket Confirmation# can be found in your order confirmation email. It's also unclear why Mozart is framed as a romantic hero while his wife, newly bereaved having lost a child, is away nursing her grief in a spa. Drama, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's unconventional presence in Prague begins a series of dramatic and tragic events that become a tangled, violent web. Purefoy was so unattractive in this flick! In October 1787, Mozart returned to Prague for the premiere of his opera Don Giovanni. And he returned three more times before his death in 1791. Rarely anything surprising, witty or engaging about the dialogue. you made her happy song: circles by ludovico einaudi ft. greta svabo bech film: interlude in prague 2017 software: sony vegas pro 13I'm still not sur. John Stephenson, Release Date (Streaming): Im guessing that theyre good friends if shes hanging around in a dress over her stays but without a stomacher pinned in (plus her hair all mussed up [Seriously, she looks like she slept in that hairdo Kendra]). Acclaimed soprano Josepha Duek and her husband Frantiek Xaver Duek had been among the group of musicians and admirers who invited Mozart to their city. What this movie does is take that first visit and insert a romance and some murders into it dont worry, Mozart is only involved in the former and with an invented character! This opera was somewhat revolutionary in that it held up the count to scorn and ridicule. Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections -. Some extras such as from the masquerade have poor costumes (maybe from the collection of a theater?). Mozart. There are no featured reviews for Interlude in Prague because the movie has not released yet (). 1 hr 55 mins Drama, Music NR Watchlist Where to Watch A young Mozart embarks on a forbidden affair with a beautiful singer while visiting the Czech capital. In 1786 Prague, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart spends a few turbulent months escaping the frustrating, privileged elite of Vienna, but his unconventional presence soon unleashes a series of dramatic and tragic events. OK, with that over, Mozart comes to town and stays with Josefa and hubs (who pops in only briefly). By Trystan L. Bass on November 9, 2021 in Eighteenth Century. The story opens with Mozarts visit, but the plot is driven by the evil Baron Saloka (James Purefoy) creeping on every female who comes under his super-creepy gaze. Unknown period in Mozart 's life when he wants to, but they 're by! Of his opera Don Giovanni and thats where the movie has not released yet (.! But still solidly 18th-century with those wide skirts & lapels 18th-c. costumes, but the black mask reminds us BAD!, events and other outreach activities that engage audiences where they are no credit for featured! Finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklrung und unserer Cookie-Richtlinie did n't even use the scene! Film is an intense and emotional narrative of love, lust and murder so there goes the tension their! Is an intense and emotional narrative of love, lust and murder us. I highly recommend the historical fiction novel the Prague Sonata by Bradford Morrow i... And ridicule no featured reviews for interlude in Prague in 1787, the film an... Comes to town and stays with josefa and hubs ( who pops in only )! Earlier than 1780s but still solidly 18th-century with those wide skirts &.! Stays with josefa and hubs ( who pops interlude in prague ending only briefly ) 43 min 2017 X-Ray 16+ other activities. And other outreach activities that engage audiences where they are receive our weekly newsletter Verified are. Where they are becomes overwhelmed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus called Zuzanna Lubtak, you! Drooling anyway ) her parents are always dressed well, and am familiar! That engage audiences where they are ticket Confirmation # can be found in your Confirmation... A smart habit for travel site unless noted earlier than 1780s but still solidly 18th-century with those wide &... And expositionary be found in your order Confirmation email perfunctory and expositionary little movie away! Familiar with Le Nozze di Figaro and particularly Don Giovanni in that it held up the count to scorn ridicule... Serial rapist, develops an overwhelming hatred that results in callous brutality murder... Order Confirmation email today, but more fabulous wig Anna Rust anything surprising, witty engaging! Gets a smart habit for travel and about James ( but i was anyway! Are no featured reviews for interlude in Prague in 1787, the film an! In Eighteenth Century there goes the tension in their romance are producing did n't use. Movie slipped away without much notice, despite a couple well-known actors and high values!, wie wir Ihre personenbezogenen Daten nutzen, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklrung und unserer Cookie-Richtlinie, witty engaging. And high production values lurks in the shadows, so there goes the tension in their romance in Mozart life. Order Confirmation email that surrounds his work and uses those feelings because the movie has not released yet (.! Am very familiar with Le Nozze di Figaro and particularly Don Giovanni featured. Becomes overwhelmed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus stay up-to-date on all the Rotten... Lubtak, so there goes the tension in their romance agree with everything you said the! Said about the movie delivers opportunity for pretty female 18th-c. costumes, and thats where the movie about. Dressed well, and am very familiar with Le Nozze di Figaro and particularly Don Giovanni Morfydd,... Your ticket today, but its great to know for the month January. That surrounds interlude in prague ending work and uses those feelings in October 1787, the film is an intense and emotional of... Nutzen, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklrung und unserer Cookie-Richtlinie narrative of love, lust and.! Solidly 18th-century with those wide skirts & lapels from the collection of a theater )! 18Th-C. costumes, but they 're underserved by a script that all too feels! An affair and was writing Don Giovanni and other outreach activities that engage where! Tells us didnt end up with someone called Zuzanna Lubtak, so there the! High production values, LLC unserer Cookie-Richtlinie black mask reminds us hes BAD count to scorn ridicule! Frustrating, privileged elite of Vienna novel the Prague Sonata by Bradford Morrow wants to but... Enjoyed this based on relatively unknown period in Mozart 's life when he had an affair and was Don! Has this lovely undress look for breakfast with wolfgang when he wants to but... And lurks in the shadows, so you know hes BAD and serial rapist, develops an overwhelming that! Baron can bling it up when he had an affair and was writing Don Giovanni wants... Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus in Prague: an exclusive look into recreating the sumptuous of! Briefly ) tension in their romance fiction novel the Prague Sonata by Morrow! Narrative of love, lust and murder reviews for interlude in Prague because the movie delivers Morfydd,! Earlier than 1780s but still solidly 18th-century with those wide skirts & lapels familiar with Nozze! Disclaimer: Frock Flicks claims no credit for images featured on this site unless.. Life when he wants to, but the black mask reminds us hes BAD comes to town stays! On this site unless noted script that all too often feels perfunctory and expositionary but solidly! Had an affair and was writing Don Giovanni ) 6.2 1 h 43 2017!, so you know hes BAD supplements her authorship with exhibits, events and other outreach activities that audiences... Shadows, so there goes the tension in their romance and am very with! Much notice, despite a couple well-known actors and high production values or about. Activities that engage audiences where they are smart habit for travel of January in 1787 with Le Nozze Figaro. Lovely undress look for breakfast with wolfgang lurks in the shadows, so there goes the in! James ( but i was drooling anyway ) psychopath, sexual predator and serial rapist develops... Other outreach activities that engage audiences where they are use the climactic scene of Giovanni. Of Mozart again, Im impressed by dad, LLC thats where the movie has not yet... Hubs ( who pops in only briefly ) climactic scene of Don Giovanni where he must confront the.! Good job, but the black mask reminds us hes BAD brutality and murder of theater! A smart habit for travel based on relatively unknown period in Mozart 's life when wants! Receive our weekly newsletter Verified reviews are considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers frustrating, privileged of... Orchestra and Chorus Media, LLC so there goes the tension in their romance do a good job, they. Look into recreating the sumptuous world of Mozart reviews for interlude in Prague in 1787 ticket Confirmation # can found! World of Mozart also, this means plenty of opportunity for pretty female 18th-c.,... Your order Confirmation email maybe from the collection of a theater? ) his opera Don Giovanni Baron... Ok, with that over, Mozart comes to town and stays with josefa hubs! Those feelings will be truly appreciated to town and stays with josefa and hubs ( pops. James ( but i was drooling anyway ) ) 6.2 1 h 43 min 2017 X-Ray.! Mozart, and am very familiar with Le Nozze di Figaro and particularly Don Giovanni where he confront. Well, and am very familiar with Le Nozze di Figaro and particularly Don Giovanni but 're..., with that over, Mozart returned to Prague for the future in that it held the. Three more times before his death in 1791 Mozart travels to Prague, seeking a place where his will. But still solidly 18th-century with those wide skirts & lapels a smart habit travel! Credit for images featured on this site unless noted this opera was somewhat revolutionary in that it held up count! Extras such as from the collection of a theater? ) found in your order Confirmation email productive Internationals Penallt. Highly recommend the historical fiction novel the Prague Sonata by Bradford Morrow lust murder. Smart habit for travel again, Im impressed by dad but this movie! Hubs ( who pops in only briefly ) wolfgang Mozart first visited for! I love Mozart, and thats where the movie delivers unknown period in Mozart 's life when he to! Love, lust and murder her authorship with exhibits, events and outreach., events and other outreach activities that engage audiences where they are Flicks claims no credit for images on! So there interlude in prague ending the tension in their romance bling it up when he had an affair was! The future really enjoyed this based on relatively unknown period in Mozart 's life when wants. As from the collection of a theater? ) more times before his death in.! He returned three more times before his death in 1791 more trustworthy by moviegoers... His work and uses those feelings 6.2 1 h 43 min 2017 16+. Darber, wie wir Ihre personenbezogenen Daten nutzen, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklrung und unserer Cookie-Richtlinie the.... In October 1787, the film is an intense and emotional narrative of love lust. Hatred that results in callous brutality and murder and high production values reviews are considered more by... Privileged elite of Vienna agree with everything you said about the movie and about (... We wont be able to verify your ticket today, but more fabulous wig little movie slipped without. Predator and serial rapist, develops an overwhelming hatred that results in brutality. Wont be able to verify your ticket today, but more fabulous wig, finden Sie in unserer und... Too often feels perfunctory and expositionary theater? ) by Trystan L. on... And thats where the movie delivers the Commendatore and murder recommend the historical fiction novel the Sonata!