It is used to describe a tribe, a set of people with common interests, a group of musicians or a flock of animals. I can definitely see the progress. 180 Collective Nouns, Definition and Example Sentences Collective Nouns Collective nouns are used to describe a group of people, animals, plants, or anything else. Words like group, herd, and array are collective noun examples. Notable examples of collective nouns include words like group or team that cover a number of people who are treated as a singular entity. A Band This collective noun is exceptionally versatile. It’s also a term applied to a large group of social fish. Famously used in William Wordsworth’s poem about daffodils, this versatile collective noun can be applied to a group of visitors, a flock of birds or any other large gathering. I am an English native speaker and love English so much that I studied it at degree level. Collective nouns are names for a collection or a number of people or things. If you are looking to name a group of things whilst speaking or writing in the English language, you are going to need to use a collective noun. For example, Our team is not large. To download high-resolution poster click here, 1.) If there is a particular collective noun you like or one you find confusing, share it in the comments area. Example: A host of tourists is looking for some places to eat. Can be applied to a group of visitors, a flock of birds, or any other large gathering. Commonly Confused Adjectives with Explanations, 10 Onomatopoeic Words for Poetry and Everyday Writing, Whether or if? It is used to describe a tribe, a set of people with common interests, a group of musicians or a flock of animals. Collective Nouns List! 10 Collective Nouns: Interesting stories of their origin Collective nouns have evolved over the ages, most of them originating in the 15th century England, when the church ruled the lives of the people and the societal norms were very different from what we see today. A Clump. This versatile collective noun is used in botany, forestry and agriculture. 2. Don't wait much longer, this discount will expire at midnight on Tuesday, Dec 1! We have online tutors in more than 50 languages. A forester might say, “The stand of saplings is growing quickly due to the abundant rain.”, 2.) Used in zoology and farming, this collective noun describes a group of hatchlings or young animals born around the same time. When referring to insects, one might say, “A swarm of gnats is enveloping the volleyball team.”, 7.) Just 6 months ago I could only say "My name is..." Now I can speak fluent English! This infographic is a helpful visual aid that illustrates ten of the most unusual collective nouns in English. Here, we’ll take a closer look at collective nouns, and provide even more examples, placing them in context so you can gain a greater understanding of how they work. This collective noun is exceptionally versatile. Example: According to the map, a bed of mussels is located in the shallows offshore. A Stand. Example: Helena, the hen, raised a large brood of chicks this spring. A Bevy A group, grove, or small forest of trees that belong to the same species. For example, a marine fisherman might say, “According to the map, a bed of mussels is located in the shallows offshore.”, 9.) Collective Nouns are used to describe a group of persons, animals, or thing. There are lots of collective nouns. It’s also worth mentioning that collective nouns in English can be in either singular or plural form (just as there are both singular verbs and plural verbs). There are also collective nouns that are used when referring to the animal kingdom or things – a flock of birds, a herd of goats, a caravan of camels, a bunch of flowers, a bunch of keys a school of fish, a herd of elephants. It can be applied to weeds, moss, seaweed and a variety of plants. A Brood Examples: A school of yellow tang fish is crossing the bay, and hordes of snorkelling tourists are rushing into the water. I hope everything was clear and understandable. 100 Examples of Collective Nouns List with PDF and images, Animals and Persons. Often applied to plants, this botanical term denotes a cluster of tightly grouped stalks, plants or trees. Duolingo vs Babbel: Which should you use to learn a language? Similar to a flock, a pride is a collective noun used to describe a group of lions or impressive birds, such as ostriches or peacocks. Collective nouns are tricky because they’re applied to groups of things, but they’re treated like singular nouns. Preply is the best place on the web to connect with passionate, experienced, and dedicated tutors that fit your price range, schedule, and goals. 10.) This marine term is used to describe the habitat where a colony of molluscs thrives. These are some useful examples of collective nouns, but really mastering usage requires interacting one-on-one with a native English speaker. A Swarm This is another bird-related term, but it’s also applied to a group of females or an overabundance of something.

World Series Of Poker 2020, How To Make Eggless Cupcake At Home, Hook And Loop Backing Pad For Angle Grinder, Oatmeal Powder Meaning In Malayalam, Blood Sausage For Sale Near Me, Keto Pork Chops And Brussel Sprouts, Prevor Diphoterine Price, Video Camera Logo, Where Can I Buy Cottonseed Oil, Cycles Worksheet Answer Key, Plum Tree Bark Disease, Mushroom Stroganoff Vegan,