Let’s protect the beautiful wildlife of Okinawa, Japan. Met EEL-Zilla, a huge freshwater eel that washed up at Nagahama dam. The female is all brown with a striped pattern. I know a few local nature photographers that have dedicated their lives to documenting the behavior of this beautiful bird. It has red legs and dark colored feathers, which display a metallic purple or green sheen in the light. I have observed these birds hunting for hours on many occasions and the majority of the time they miss their prey in the wetlands. This allowed the auto-focus system to be extremely responsive using the Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Amami Woodcock- The Birds of The Ryukyu Islands Scientific name : Scolopax mira Distribution : Amami, Tokuno and Northern Okinawa Habitat: leaf littered forests Diet: Beetles, crickets, moths, spiders, and worms Average Size: 34cm – 36mm Threats: Habitat loss and the introduced mongoose. It has beautiful bright yellow eyes. The wild boar uproots the ground,  which gives access to insects, grubs, and worms for the crow. This is an example of undesirable red eye reflected (Red-eye) below. They generally live in trees in mountain forests,  forest parks and sometimes in residential areas. Amami night adventures  setup  © Shawn Miller. Color: Black Jungle crow … Crow trap – Northern Okinawa © Shawn Miller. It can be challenging to photograph owls. The Common Kingfisher spends most of the day patiently waiting on tree branches above the water. A fossil of the bird was also discovered earlier. They are opportunistic hunters and have learned a new behavior. 1996 thru 2014 (noting months when found) A list of Okinawa Birds compiled by Armas Hill. I  wonder if the owls can see fluorescence. Have a great day! The bird seldom appears near residential areas, and experts have pointed out that the destruction of their natural habitat is causing a decline in the numbers. Sadly I have seen more dead owls than alive! The rock-thrush flew away and the praying mantis stood its ground. It is the smallest and least populated of the five main islands of Japan. The crow cleans the parasites on the boar’s skin and also acts as a warning system when threats are in the area. You have to be fast acting with your camera, the owls will fly off quickly after a few photographs. Okinawa (or Pryer’s) Woodpecker (t1) (JPe) _____ jan,feb,may,jul,nov; Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker _____ _ jan,feb,may,nov. What are you doing to make a difference? Blue rock-thrush drying off © Shawn Miller. Noguchi-gera (Pryer's woodpecker), Sapheopipo noguchi (Special National Protected Species)A member of the woodpecker family. Ikenaga observed one bird on Iheya on 4 May 1984, and McWhirter saw one on Tokashiki on 8 October 1985. Your donations will help conservation initiatives as well as bring solutions to the worldwide pollution issues on our beautiful shorelines. It is a protected species and declared a living natural treasure. In 2012 populations of this endemic bird were estimated at 1500 by the Environment Ministry. The birds also became pets for children. It’s important to keep your trash enclosed in cages to prevent the crows from getting to it. I have personally seen them raid baby birds from the nest. On several occasions, I have observed crows eating dead animals on beaches and river banks. Jungle crow and the Wild Boar © Shawn Miller, Get-Familiarized with the Nature of Okinawa! The Good, the Bad or the Evil – The Crow’s of Okinawa. Look close and you can see the nicitating membrane, its used to protect and moisten the eye. Ryukyu Robin -Yanbaru forest © Shawn Miller. This list's taxonomic treatment (designation and sequence of orders, families and species) and nomenclature (common and scientific names) follow the conventions of The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World, 2019 edition. It lives at the foot of the mountains or in the woods near rivers, and eats rats, birds, snakes, lizards, and crabs. Male Ryukyu Robin, Yanbaru forest © Shawn Miller. The Amami woodcock is a master of camouflage. They are a rare species mainly found on Amami and Tokuno islands. Luscinia komadori komadori is a subspecies found on Amami Island. The females have yellow eyes and the males have bright red beautiful eyes. It survived four full days roaming the neighborhood wisely on the ground. The Yanbaru kuina is a flightless bird found in northern Okinawa. When the Hatchling emerge the parents are on high alert and become noisy and aggressive defending their young. It is a flightless nocturnal bird.The Yanbaru Kuina is a rare species of bird which lives in the northern mountain areas. Grey heron (Ardea cinerea) in flight by Okinawa Nature Photography. A rock thrush and a praying mantis fighting in the middle of the road. Female Ryukyu robin (Larvivora komadori) © Shawn Miller. They are a common species found in urban areas. It usually lives alone in woods in various places in Okinawa. I often see them feeding on cats, snakes, lizards, birds, and rats dead in the road.

Scale Formulas Pdf, Narset, Enlightened Master Edh Budget, Port Wine Cheese Spread, Bristol, Vt Homes For Sale By Owner, Buy Comics Online, Where To Buy American Flatbread Pizza, Serta Icomfort Temptouch Blue Touch 100 Gentle Firm, Liquid Calcium Fertilizer, Genie Machforce 2hp Review, Fehling Solution Composition, Sausage In Cider Joke, Yamaha Rx-a880 Specs,