I m in searching of inexpensive way to redo my master closet which was built from builder. It was Behr semi gloss paint. That said, we would go months without even touching it. It’s a super simple jig that made drilling holes for adjustable shelves easier than I could have ever imagined. This would give you the floor to ceiling custom closet look. How much would you say the closet redo cost? So glad that you love your new space. The rods were spaced from the back wall anywhere from 9-1/4” on center to 10-1/4” on center. I don’t know if I hadn’t fully planned out my design or if I just forgot but don’t do this if you build a similar closet. thanks again for sharing. Also, how much clearance did you leave between the back wall and the center of the closet rods? We did find and like the PAX system with the pull out drawer component that is installed on glides mounted to sides of cabinet. If it were 8′ up and on the back of the box no-one would ever see it. Had this same question as the OP. I only see 4ft sections height wise, I guess you stack them? Seriously, you’re so generous to share this and to have given the majority of the space to your clothes-horse hubby! You’re going to love your closet when it is done. You won’t get that smooth finished look. Thank you! I hope that makes sense. I am going to pin it and think about doing this one. One Question: What type of finish did you use for paint? The last picture in step 3 and 1st photo in step 4 show this. You should have studs at 16″ on center so as long as your boxes are larger than that you should hit a stud at some point. Beautiful closet! This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through and make a purchase. I would love to duplicate this design for ours! By sections I mean hanging sections and/or shelves. Thanks for your time. Note that if your rag is too wet you might raise the grain on the wood which means that the wood fibers rise and become rough feeling. When we cut the left and right walls and top for the box we made them 3/4″ shallower than the IVAR dresser to allow 1×2 trim to sit flush (note that 1×2 trim is actually 3/4″x1.5″. I think it looks a lot more custom and high end with the base. Well, the honest answer is way too long. A flat paint would be very hard to keep clean. Hope that helps. Do the drawers still work well? I have 2 questions for you what type of plywood did you use? I just used wood filler and sanded it down. After deciding to do this I started searching Craigslist and found an ensemble of Asian-inspired dressers. If you read through the steps that I show below you can easily modify the dimensions for your space! I know you stated that the taller dresser is deeper so I was thinking o placing that one in the center and have the two smaller ones flanking on each side with the center sticking out more. Your vertical box walls aren’t likely to line up with the studs so you would have to do this on the top horizontal piece or the shelf that is just below the top of the box. You can see the unpainted trim a little bit in the background. I am wondering how you were able to screw the boxes into the back wall? Thank you Melissa! Wonder if you painted with a sprayer or rollers and brushes? Hi! This thing isn’t going anywhere! Amazing closet I would love to have one just like it. Thank you. Thanks Carol. I would LOVE if you shared the width/dimensions of all your little cubbies, but if you don’t already have it sketched out, no worries. This made my day . Hi Kimberly. You could also build a french cleat to hang the box and screw that into the studs. The new top for the Ivar is screwed i to the side walls of the boxes that I built. Absolutely love it!! I envy the women that get entire closets to them-self. We used the same building materials as Hannah. You’re going to be taking shoes and clothes in and out of this closet everyday so you want to be sure that the surface is durable. Since he didn’t need taller hanging space for dresses like me, we added a shelf above the IVAR dresser for his pants. I have had this post pinned for a long time. I would have needed 3 of them so um….. NO THANKS! I went with the paint and primer mix (the ultra). Can I ask what the dimensions of your closet were before you installed the system? There are a few things to consider when designing a functional closet. I’d love to see your finished closet. Thank you so much for the simplest, most logical and beautiful organizational solution on the planet. In addition my husband isn’t as adventurous as I am. and yes yes yes, 3/4″ plywood is difficult to handle on your own! Our master suite remodel is the biggest DIY/renovation project that we’ve taken on but I’m so glad that we did it. I did the same on the base so that the screws were not placed in any of the exposed areas. I know that everyone’s closet sizes are different, but it would be a helpful guideline. Except, we have 9 foot ceilings in the closet so I am looking for some alternatives to attaching to the ceiling studs. So…anyway, if you happen to have your measurements and could add them to your blog, cool. I used a semi gloss paint from Behr. Thank you for sharing all the measurements, insights and how-tos. Nice! Ugh, I was so excited and now I’m all flustered again. To answer your question, the shelves are the same depth as the dressers. Hi Marcee. I’ve printed them using google chrome as a browser. It worked out really well for my space that centering the dressers allowed for the proper space for hanging shirts to the right of the TARVA on the back wall and left usable space for hanging clothes and building shelves everywhere else. My husband thought it was a waste of time (except for the “look”). I have them stuffed with shirts and pants and even with all that weight I haven’t had any issues. All round high-quality and special features like smart locks. You indicated at the beginning that you attached the box frames to the walls and the dressers (To install the boxes we screwed them into studs in the back wall and the ceiling (avoiding visible screws when possible) and also attached them to the dresser using screws).. How did you attach them to the wall studs since they are perpendicular to the wall? The closet is the room to the left, the bathroom is now in the back and we have a hallway to get to each of the rooms from the master bedroom. I’ve actually been thinking about updating the post with my final dimensions. Can you mention the dimensions you had to work with? For each of the sections we built boxes that we then set in place (more detail in step 4). I remember the feeling of Oh, no, there is no turning back now! We had a weird bump out in the back left corner that we had to work around which is why I designed that corner to be shelves from floor to ceiling. Thank you so much! Just curious how you handeled the return vent in the closet (I noticed it in one of the pictures)? We also screwed the base of the dresser into the base that we built for added security. Thanks for linking this post with us at #omhgww! Did you measure 2” down from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the rod? You’re going to love it! We went to IKEA and couldn’t find the three drawer IVAR bureau. We just finished our closet that we based off of yours and I couldn’t be more happy with it. The three drawers in the IVAR are perfect for organizing bras, panties and socks. It involved gutting the closet, master bathroom and the den that was behind both of those rooms. You gave me a lot of inspiration! looks great by the way. Here is a picture after we had framed for the walls and installed drywall. We added shelves that were 12″ below the ceiling throughout the entire closet. I ordered the 10" drawers that are made to go with tower, and installed the unit in a guest room closet. How much clearance did you provide between the center of the rod and the wall? This step is optional. I’m also a fan of the color – what type of paint did you use – semigloss? Ours come in styles that match our wardrobes and in different sizes so you can use them around your home, for instance a tall chest of drawers in a narrow hall. Hi, I have been looking at some IKEA closet hacks and have seen a lot of people use the PAX system. We have a new Master walk in closet to design and found your beautiful DIY! We moved our stuff in that Sunday and it’s been so amazing to have a closet near our bedroom again.

Gettysburg Address Speech, Where To Buy Plain Canvas Tote Bags, Studio Projects B1 Vs B3, Color Black In Greek, Psalm 97:7 Meaning, White Genuine Leather Bag,