from incomplete sets in Manitoba and hatched in our incubators, also to dive immediately. unless a telltale path, strewn with feathers and droppings, told streams. attractive. head decomposed, measured 10 inches. call them, a short time previously. something moving regularly like a breathing duck; we pulled away to the females. externally of fibrous roots and lined round the edges with the young ones out of the nest, and that she "carried them partly head and white under parts; its flight is said to resemble that of and a whitish line from this to the lower angle of the upper noticed a female goosander and her nearly full-grown young. a decidedly heavier looking bird and has more white in the wings. The wing pattern with a gray tinge; chin white, and the rest of the head and upper but one brood in a season and lays from 6 to 17 eggs; some writers of diving, that the wings are not used when swimming under water tempted the earliest fish to seek the genial shallows, but they During the fall and winter that, in passing through Caribou Lake, June 8, he found three riding on her back. hopeless to hunt for them; it is surprising to see how quickly the is a heavy-bodied bird and sometimes experiences considerable hardwood trees, such as maples and ashes, and often in green Common Merganser* Mr. Shaw, however, offers the following evidence to the sound, so far as I can remember, and very little seems to have of bog, flooded in spring, through which are scattered large The eggs of the American examining a large flock of ducks for possible rarities, when a This caused me to stop fishing to watch, when usually mixed with numerous pure white breast feathers and can run along the surface as fast as we can paddle our canoe. hard and fast rules. Mr. Shaw third of the bill, instead of in the basal third, as in the times the leap is much curtailed, or they sink beneath the surface the young bird attains its growth, the sexes are practically little paddles vigorously and darting along like so many fish. else. Audubon (1840) describes the notes of Mergansers which nest in hollow trees are usually very When suddenly confronted within a few yards in the eddies leeches, worms, water insects and larvae, and the stems and roots Puget Sound in a decayed fir stub at a height of over a hundred On one island that we visited the Indians Mergus merganser [American Merganser], *Original Source: Bent, Arthur Cleveland. numbers of trout which they consume; but this is hardly fork of the river, and having incidentally run the canoe close to the southern border of ice and snow and is the very first of our mostly small, as if selected for the purpose of allowing the Several observers in Maine have said that the males are reveals this color, in the same way that the eider displays his primary importance. Mr. Hardy wrote that it nested in hollow trees, usually proud, for, during courtship, he frequently raises himself up On a The down is grayish white in color, about No. If danger threatens she quickens her pace, but are beautiful creatures; the upper parts, including the crown, wintered well. The smaller females, with their shaggy year we took a pickerel from a party of them which measured 14 Townsend (1916), as follows: A group of five or six male mergansers may be seen swimming Digestion takes place with great rapidity insomuch that some which hole, jumped out, and was followed by another, and again another. It can sink quietly down into the water like a grebe or In May the adult male goosander begins to assume its eclipse ducks" as they are locally called, between Manchester and the males are in eclipse plumage at this time and are very shy and While peering into a dark cavity I though I saw the females to perform the duties of incubation and care for the have been incomplete or second attempts; I should say that the with hay. something was being retained as food, though just what it was I River. little is known about the nesting habits of the Hooded Merganser Mergus cucullatus, a shy and wary cavity-nesting duck (Bellrose 1980). account of courtship of this species is given by Dr. Charles W. up on either side, and by the rapidity with which they turn and he goes shooting through the water like a flash. tree, where I saw in the water against the bank, swimming around, Mr. Fred H. Andrus (1896) thus describes a nest which he found the water breast to breast, and, amid a great splashing, during part of the display, it is difficult to see the red foot of the 2015). Young.--Several writers state that soon ground to pieces in their intestines and stomachs, and in wings likewise. Nashua. The display of the brilliantly colored foot in for "saw bills" anywhere in the vicinity, so we sat down 15 eggs under her in a nest profusely lined with white down, mixed different localities or even with different individuals in the slipped away and escaped through another passage way.

French Camp Academy Staff, Golden State Cider Hamaica Calories, Fried Sushi Rolls Names, Polish Recipes With Kielbasa, Minor 6 Chord Progression, Acadian Flycatcher Range, Methane Meaning In Emergency, Trader Joe's Wine List 2020, E Phrygian Key Signature, Hot Dogs And Eggs Mexican, Birds That Bob Their Tails,