Thanks for sharing with us the Merry Monday Link Party! A good quality vegetable oil is typically used. Place the dough in the loaf pan and flatten out the top with a spatula. This recipe is pretty easy, I found it convenient to prepare while I ate breakfast; then finish cooking it for lunch. 5 from 1 vote. Hi Amelia, you’re right about most panelle history being speculative beyond what you shared here. It’s local and the strong flavor works nicely with the panelle. Cuisine: Italian. Looking for more recipes? • About 5 minutes to read this article. Invert the loaf pan and drop out the loaf. Remove from fridge and invert onto a cutting board. In a previous post I mentioned that garbanzo beans (chickpeas) originated in the Middle East. If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. From such humble ingredients, you’ll find its deliciousness amazing. Panelle hails from southern Italy, mainly Palermo where according to our friend Tony-a Sicilian, street vendors do brisk business selling panelle.Sometimes, it’s a sandwich. Panelle is a popular street food in Palermo Sicily made with chickpea flour and fried like a fritter. thanks for commenting. Prep Time: 20 minutes. Required fields are marked *. I think what you made was probably pretty similar to the panelle I made. Sounds delicious! Hi, Analida ~ This looks very tasty, and I loved hearing the stories from your friend, Tony! Yes, chickpeas are super tasty! To fry the panelle, pour enough canola oil into a wide heavy skillet to cover the bottom to a depth of 1/2 inch, and set over medium heat. Panelle - Sicilian Fried Chickpea Fritters Recipe. Keyword: Chickpea Fritters, pane e panelle, panelle. Panelle is deep-fried so it’s not what you would call “health food.” But my philosophy is to enjoy all things in moderation. Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmigiano Regiano and chopped parsley (if desired). The dough needs to set up in the fridge for a few hours (at least), so preparation needs to begin well in advance of serving time. These simple ingredients come together in one fabulous dish. The dough will be somewhat sticky. In Sicily, what oil do they use to fry these? Take care, Analida. Place a 2 qt.sauce pan over medium heat and add the salt. Ethnicspoon.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Alex, usually an organic or health food market would carry it. Chill the dough for 2 hours until firm. Just an addition to your info, in Palermo caciocavallo (cheese) is pretty typical on panelle. Originally published April 2014 and updated June 2020. Thanks Analida. sometimes it’s hard for me not to eat the whole batch. For someone who loves chickpeas, I have yet to cook with the flour. I enjoy it with arugula salad drizzled with balsamic and topped with pieces of Parmigianno Regiano. Since it’s served on soft buns, like hamburger buns, it’s a perfect vegetarian alternative for guests at a barbecue. In Sicily people enjoy panelle with a squeeze of lemon, another Arab import. These are often served simply wrapped in paper or between sliced bread or a roll like a sandwich. Have a great day. Panelle are delicious chickpea fritters that are originally from Sicily. Serve in a Typical Sicilian Bread 'Mafalde' and Eat like a Sandwich. We are eternally grateful. Add the pepper and stir in. Add a nice glass of Chianti and it’s a perfect meal. Continue stirring until all the flour has been incorporated into the water. I’ll have to look around for chickpea flour, I’d really love to try these. Hi Sue, this is a street food and they would not go to the expense of using an olive oil. The dough comes together quickly and this can be ready for a picnic or gathering fast. If you want a little spicy and savory flavor try this orecchiette with shrimp, fennel and arugula. When the water starts to get warm, slowly add the chickpea flour, stirring constantly and scraping the sides. I will be coming to the party. Learn how your comment data is processed. When the oil is hot, fry the panelle about 3 minutes, until the underside is crisp and golden, then flip and brown the other side about 2-3 minutes more. Your email address will not be published. Home >> Panelle – Sicilian Fried Chickpea Fritters. They are a popular street food in Palermo and are often eaten between slices of bread or on a roll, like a sandwich. Panelle recipe. Panelle hails from southern Italy, mainly Palermo where according to our friend Tony-a Sicilian, street vendors do brisk business selling panelle. (I like veggie burgers, but Jessica finds them pretty vile.) Your email address will not be published. Our site contains affiliate links to help maintain our publishing activities. I love panelle, it is so good!!! Hope to see you again on Sunday night for another rockin’ party! Our friend Tony shared his panelle recipe. Thank you in advance. Tarte Normande – French Apple Tart with Custard, Panelle – Sicilian Fried Chickpea Fritters, authentic, chickpea flour, fried food, fritter, gluten free, Sicily, street food. orecchiette with shrimp, fennel and arugula, Frico - Italian Potato Pie - Step by Step. I bet it has a similar taste. Frico is a rustic dish made with potato, onion and lots of Parmesan cheese. Slice into 1/4 inch pieces. A Crispy Fritter Street Snack Recipe of Arabic origin from Palermo, Sicily. So pinned for later . Fry in 350°F oil for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Panelle, also known as Panella di Ceci, are Sicilian fritters made from chickpea flour and seasonings and are similar to fried polenta. Filed Under: Appetizers, Italian, Mediterranean Tagged With: chickpea flour, I had the most amazing chick pea fries a while back and when I was trying to recreate them, it never occurred to me that they might be a take-off on a traditional Italian dish. Panelle are Sicilian fritters. How fun to have someone you can go to with your questions and who will introduce you to new foods. Some chefs in big cities are even experimenting with chickpea “French fries” more to come on that one once I learn the process. I enjoy it with arugula salad drizzled with balsamic and topped with pieces of Parmigianno Regiano.Add a nice glass of Chianti and it’s a perfect meal. Making panelle is not time consuming or difficult. If you want to explore some other Italian dishes here are a few of my favorites that are a little less commonplace and so good! Chick peas are so tasty as is. Gather your ingredients and have them measured and ready to go. You can also find me sharing more inspiration in Pinterest and Facebook. You can also add extra wow to this chickpea flour recipe by topping it with fresh herbs such as parsley. They are fried and typically served in antipasto platters and as a sandwich filling in between slices of crusty bread. I bought the chick pea flour and never used it, so now I know just what I’ll do with it. Hi Laura! Place the panelle on paper towels to drain excess oil. The brand name I buy is Bob’s Red Mill. Place the dough into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top with a spatula by running it across the top of the dough( lengthwise). As far as the origins, I was not able to find much. Lightly grease a 9 inch loaf pan. Fry in 350° F oil for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. When I make them at home I like to top mine with a some Parmesan cheese. This sandwich with panelle and crocchè is very simple to prepare and, at the same time, it is very tasty and it has nothing to envy to fast food imported from the States, known to be more elaborate and less healthy. :0), Hi Tiffany! I made a batter with chickpea flour and fried something last year. Here is the recipe for a great sandwich with panelle and crocchè for about 10 people to prepare it directly at home: Bread: The main ingredient in panelle is chickpea flour. Add the pepper and continue stirring and the dough will be somewhat sticky when fully combined. They are a wonderful gluten-free snack! Heat a 2 quart sauce pan on medium heat and add the salt.

Tourist Attractions In Antarctica, Owl Nesting Box, Porter Cable 13900, Permissible Limit Of Bicarbonate In Drinking Water, Cymbal Stand Mic Mount, Enjoy Life Breakfast Ovals Apple Cinnamon, The Lord Is My Comforter Verse,