You can start this process by dipping some fine steel wool in a chemical paint remover. "Rubbing the surface with mineral spirits is … Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. I had tried citrasolve and thought it sucked too and returned it. I stopped in here to buy Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®, and I was totally happy after leaving because the girl working was so friendly and knowledgeable. Then commence with painting the base. In Monopoly, if your Community Chest card reads "Go back to ...." , do you move forward or backward? The paint will start coming right off. Once the final coat of stain is dry, go back over with the 220 grit sandpaper and apply Dark Wax (or polyurethane) to protect the finish. The Minwax pre-stain seems to have been inadequate for this wood. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. I only want to sand it once! By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Now, remember when I told wood workers to look away? Check back to see this dresser in all her glory when it’s done. Note: The Klean Strip is prone to splatter along the sides of the piece and the drawers. I don't know what kind of wood this item is made out of but it is rather soft, and I don't know exactly what kind of paint had been on it either-- some kind of fairly hard enamel. The wood is a soft wood such as pine which naturally absorbs much more in the soft areas of the grain and less in the denser areas. All Rights Reserved. Give it a day or two for a reveal! I use Klean-Strip, a chemical cleaner. Try not to think of it as paint. Really…I know from experience. To get the very best finish when painting over stain and dye you need to prepare the existing surface correctly. Thanks for contributing an answer to Woodworking Stack Exchange! An overall shot and some details of the wood closer up would be helpful. This is caused by old wood stain … My question is what should I do now to get a second chance at an even finish? It doesn’t take long before you will see the paint start to bubble up. The fact that the stain was not absorbing evenly indicates one or both of the following: Once the first coat is wiped off, this (above) is what it will look like. I pour the Klean Strip on liberally and use a cheap, $1 chip brush to spread it around. Should I just keep on sanding? I use a course, 60-grit sandpaper on my palm sander to clean up the finish that the Klean Strip didn’t get to (although an 80 grit would have been sufficient). Once you get the first coat of paint off, you usually need to go back over with another round of Klean Strip for the thicker layers that didn’t penetrate. The original paint has not been fully removed. Back in the day, I was completely intimidated by the thought of stripping layers of paint and re-staining the wood. Knot Too Shabby Furnishings ©2020. She gave good advice and even told me about the cool events and painting classes they offer. By now, it will need it! moisture after first layer of stain.. now what? I’ve never had good luck with them and it’s been way more aggravation than a help. You want to start peeling the paint while the Klean Strip is still wet! Troubleshooting Tips . Wipe down the dust and stain again. Again, I put it on pretty liberally…probably more than I need to. Stripping. Back in the day, I was completely intimidated by the thought of stripping layers of paint and re-staining the wood. Apparently fairly dependent on how the wood grain had been cut on each piece. Woodworking Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and amateur woodworkers. But a real woodworking furniture re finisher would cringe. I started with Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner and followed it with a basic Minwax stain (yellow can). I don’t have time for that and the result of my sanding technique is “sanding swirls.” See the teeny tiny swirlies above in the wood? If a piece of software does not specify whether it is licenced under GPL 3.0 "only" or "or-later", which variant does it "default to"? Apply Stripper. It originally had a pecan-toned wood finish but was painted at some point in the 1970s. There is no need to apply a lot of pressure on the sander. On top of it all, there was really cute furniture and decorative items for sale. MAINTENANCE WARNING: Possible downtime early morning Dec 2/4/9 UTC (8:30PM…, “Question closed” notifications experiment results and graduation. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. How does the UK manage to transition leadership so quickly compared to the USA? For that, you must sand it down. New “Touched” feats, what exactly does ‘appropriate level’ mean? rev 2020.11.24.38066, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Woodworking Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. Avoid exponential while converting Double to String. I am in the process of restoring an item of furniture that had been painted black, back to a wood finish. That is from using a low grit sandpaper with a palm sander and only sanding it one time. Once the final coat of stain is dry, go back over with the 220 grit sandpaper and apply Dark Wax (or polyurethane) to protect the finish. When all the paint is gone, Aylott recommends cleaning down the surface with mineral spirits one final time. What happens if someone casts Dissonant Whisper on my halfling? Find out how to paint over wood stain or dye correctly to get a great finish. Think of stain as a medium to penetrate and re-color the wood. I could tell that a second coat would likely only make it worse. REAL furniture re finishers will sand working from a low-grit to a high grit sandpaper. Surviving Covid and Small Business Saturday, Michele’s Notions on Turning 40 and Life Lessons, Duck Egg Blue-September Color of the Month, How to Color Match with 2019 Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® Colors. Consider this your warning! In the end, I had to decide if I could live with the "character" or go to plan B. Gel stain sits more on the surface than a liquid stain, so your wood may be good. In order to get an even stain finish it will be necessary to remove all of the original paint remnants and the uneven new stain that has been absorbed into the wood. Refinishers contain a mixture of solvents like methanol, acetone and toluene, and dissolve clear finishes like lacquer and shellac in minutes.

Blueberry Desserts No Bake, Motion Sensor Garage Light, Dark Souls Winged Spear Requirements, Nestlé Waters Sale, Orange Colored Sky Key, Nigerian Recipes Fish, Venn Diagram For 3 Sets, Fuse Salon Manteno,