Remove one disc of dough (or one pie crust) from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly-floured surface until it is 12-inches in diameter. Remove pie crust from freezer and fill with the cooled pie filling. The pie bakes for a long time so you don't want to end up with mushy apples, which you would if you cut the slices thinner. Serve up these Apple cider bundt cake , cheesecake stuffed apples , honey apple pork loin , or Mountain Dew apple dumplings . Then sprinkle on the rest of the sugar mixture. You can use an instant-read thermometer to check that the juices have cooked properly, the pie filling should be 175F internally. Cut the rolled out dough into 1-inch strips to form a lattice pattern for the top crust. Splash some lemon juice on top of the apples to prevent them from turning brown. I Agree, At The dough will begin to clump together and soon you will be able to form it into a large ball/disc. So perfect with apples, glad you agree too Take care. Dot with remaining … However, I prefer cloves. Required fields are marked *. Recipe adapted from my mothers old Good House Keeping Cookbook, Keywords: clove apple pie, apple pie with cloves, apples and cloves, Tag @confessionsofabakingqueen on Instagram and hashtag it #cbqbakes. Once the mixture resembles crumbs add your COLD water. In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt. Sprinkle the flour and cornstarch over the apples and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, another 5 to 6 minutes, or until juices start to thicken. Once you have reached the breadcrumb point add cold water and use a knife with a rounded point to mix the water in. This apple pie with cloves recipe is perfect for the cinnamon hater in your life. Make sure to join our Newsletter and follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter. In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt sm The phenomenon of “apple spice” is a relatively new thing. Feel free to message me with any questions! With any leftover pie crust use a small cookie cutter to create fun designs. SO good. Place half of your apples inside the pie and sprinkle half of the sugar mixture on top. In a small bowl mix together the sugar, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, lemon juice, and lemon zest. I used about ⅔rds for the bottom of the pie and saved the rest for the top of the pie. Stir to coat apples in butter. Mix with a round edge knife until the mixture begins to clump together then form into a ball. Set aside. There’s no need to buy packaged apple pie spice when you probably already have the ingredients to make it sitting in your pantry! In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt. I am a chocoholic, red wine lover, and dual citizen of the US and the UK! Can I use pumpkin pie spice instead of apple pie spice? Sure! Homemade Apple Pie is filled with lots of ground cloves for a spectacular fall flavor. Wendy!! This post includes a recipe for making homemade apple pie spice, how to use your homemade spice blend, and ideas for giving this spice blend as a gift (with free printables!) Sprinkle in some cardamom. In a medium-sized bowl combine sugar, flour, cloves, nutmeg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Use this spice lightly; it can easily overpower your blend. lg Then place the pie crust design on top of the egg brushed pie and then brush the design tops with more egg wash. An egg wash creates a nice golden shine when baked. Roll out remaining ⅓ of dough for the top of the pie. The pie was fabulous, the apples were cooked to perfection not crunchy but not soggy. Use a pastry blender or two knives or your fingers to rub this mixture together. Making your own spice mix is easy and saves you a trip to the store, all the while adding extra flavor to your favorite fall baked goods. The temperature is 425F I will update the recipe. But I do like apples and cloves. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to cook until it is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes longer. I wish my pies would come out so gorgeous! Your crust looks perfect! Place in pie dish. Cozy Fall Desserts I am actually making it on the 17th for an English friends birthday. Thank you for this lovely recipe, Elizabeth. (If chilling overnight let dough sit at room temp for 30 minutes before rolling out). xs Sift flour and salt together. Print Recipe Homemade Apple Pie is filled with lots of ground cloves for a spectacular fall flavor. Cloves are incredibly powerful—one whiff and you’ll be transported to the holiday season. Lightly brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.Place pie in the oven on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Hi Elizabeth, of course Birds Custard my family came to Canada in '53, and while some things went by the wayside, Custard and Pie was not one of them; In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, white sugar, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, allspice and cloves. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F In a large saute pan over medium high heat, melt butter then add apple wedges. If you chill longer like overnight then just make sure you let the dough sit before you use it so it will be workable. This apple pie with cloves recipe is perfect for the cinnamon hater in your life. Add 1/8 teaspoon to the recipe above for a powerful kick. She LOVES this and I won't lie so do I. Apple Pie Spice Recipe: Learn to Make Your Own Apple Pie Spice Use a pastry blender, your hands or two knives to cut the butter into the flour. Locally Owned and OperatedStore InformationphoneHours, https://www.mckaysmarket.com/Recipes/Detail/7985/Clove_Spiced_Apple_Pie. Well, I am happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. McCormick lists just cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice among its ingredients I am Elizabeth Waterson welcome to my treat filled site. The pie dish I used for this pie has a fluted design in it so it was easier for me to press the dough into the dish this time. Maybe tomorrow! . Press the edges together, trim the excess, then crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. You must make some Birds Custard to go with the pie, it's absolutely gorgeous! had my 66th BD on the 4th, so wish I had had this recipe then will be going out today to pick up the apples and make up for lost time LOL, My mum always made her apple pie with cloves,she died17 years ago and I still miss her and her apple pies. . This post may contain affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Delicious idea , Thank you! I'm not going to lie I was skeptical of an apple pie with no cinnamon, it just didn't sound right? Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. Oh my that is a beautiful apple pie! Using a pastry brush, brush the pie with egg wash all over. Step 1: To make this apple pie moonshine recipe, begin by mixing the first six ingredients in a large stainless steel stock pot (5.5 quarts or larger) and bring to a boil. You can use sweeter apples but adjust the sugar to balance out the extra sweetness. While the combination of complementing spices has been around for nearly 3,500 years, it wasn’t commercialized, jarred and sold together until about the 20th century. Wow! I am HORRIBLE at pie crust, here is an easy video showing some great options for the pie crust. I enjoy the pie with good ol' vanilla ice cream or Birds Custard. Cut ⅔ of the dough off the ball and roll out on a floured surface. Hiya! I always make my apple pies with Bramley apples - how lovely to see you are using them too! Cover with the dough strips in both directions to weave and create a lattice pattern. Warm cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and more come together for a homemade apple pie spice recipe, you can use over and over again! Thanks Schnee, this pie is great. Now... i want some pie. Stir to coat apples in butter. … Step 2: Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. In pie crust place one layer of sliced apples and evenly sprinkle half of the clove sugar mixture over the apples. Happy Baking! Seal the top and bottom pie crust with whatever design you like. Wrap lightly in parchment paper and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Ye Olde Apple Spice. Homemade Apple Pie is filled with lots of ground cloves for a spectacular fall flavor. Thanks Carol, Hi Carol, I am so sorry for the delay. Thanks so much. This post was originally published on January 28, 2013. i always bake with cloves. Our Apple Pie Spice makes a tasty and attractive garnish when sprinkled on ice cream or whipped cream for any dessert.

Ok Sure Meaning, Reheating A Pit Ham, I Remember Nothing Film, Valerian Plant For Sale Near Me, Piano Keys Names, Field Scabious Plants, Castrol Gtx High Mileage 10w-30, Drip Irrigation System Design Pdf, Liftmaster Wireless Keypad Manual,