In my case, my degree is in ChE, and I considered getting a minor in Japanese because I speak it fluently. People are far to concerned with degree names when it's always been about how your skills/classes relate to the job you want. Since I was interested in studying abroad to improve my Russian and already planning to take all of those classes, I declared so I could get preference for registration and apply for scholarships through the department for when I go abroad. However, I've seen quite a bit of negative outlook on here about minors in general so I wanted to get a more direct consensus.. "Worth it" relative to what? My sister does Pharmacy at nottingham and its made me realise that i want to do that. But ultimately, as long as you list the classes you've taken relevant to the job you want, you'll be fine. While your minor probably won't make or break your application, it can serve as an additional piece of information to make you stand out a bit from the rest of the academic crowd. But if you’re just doing it to do it, then it might not be worth it. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Why that? Does anybody know if it is worth adding on a business minor? The math minor at my school is 28 credits so I would still need 3-4 classes at the 400 level. Almost all renowned experts in the field are either computer scientist or mathematician. There is a reason the vast majority of people aren't working in their major field. They do not appear on your degree, and you do too few classes in a minor for you to have a specialized knowledge worth hiring you in (for the most part, it depends on the employer) -- they don't show that you're competent in that field. I was told it increased marketability but is it actually worth it. Also idk if I should just get a certificate for something that’s more related to my major. Besides, I was already fluent in the language, I didn't need a minor … Is a music minor worth it, or just a waste of time? 1 decade ago. I'm glad I declared it. It depends on what you do. You probably think that it means you're a cool hacker, infiltrating Russian Mafia websites and shutting them down, making the world safe for “average” people. Thank you for the input. A minor in economics is unlikely to meaningfully change your job options after college unless you end up pursuing internships or research related to economics and end up with additional work experience or job skills. Press J to jump to the feed. If you have time and you’re interested, then I think it’s great. Of course minor in music. What a College Minor Is and Why It Matters A minor in college often complements a major and allows students to explore another discipline. So is it worth taking it as a degree for 3/4 years at Uni? The history minor added to his research and writing skills which he didn't get so much as a biochem major. First, make sure you understand what a career in cyber security really means. The subreddit for discussion related to college. Minors typically do not have any real impact on your future career. I'm not talking about a second minor, I'm only talking about having one minor. At least at my college, minors don’t go on your diploma, so you would have to tell employers about if specifically if it’s the same at your school. I have a minor in Chinese because if I dropped it then they wouldnt be able to have the class. I'm also a junior econ major and my minor is psychology. I've crossed off the entrepreneurship one. Econ with a minor in computer science is something that would look good. As mechanical engineering student you may already qualify for a math minor on account of your degree, or maybe just one elective short. Typically, they say to "minor in what you love, major in what gets you a job." Economics is a respected field of study, but a minor is not enough to make you qualified for a job where the prospective employer is looking for someone who majored in economics or a related field. Any help is appreciated, Minors are worth it in the sense of personal accomplishment, because since they don't appear on your degree, nobody knows if you have one unless you tell them or you show them your transcripts. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I don't think a mathematics minor fits into the 2nd category because your major is already super quant heavy. If not, it's not worth your money. But there are benefits to be in that department. No admissions questions, cheating, memes, or illegal behavior/piracy. Typically, they say to "minor in what you love, major in what gets you a job." At my university, having a major or a minor in a particular department can get you priority for class registration and make you eligible for certain scholarships. At my school a math minor is 3 quarters of regular calculus, two quarters of multivariable, and a choice of (I think) discrete math or intro to proofs. As a physics major, we basically only have to take one class to get a math minor. Thanks! Your minor is basically something that you want to learn about but that will not do much for you besides in regards to your own knowledge.

Father Doesn't Want To Be Involved, Mettwurst Sausage Near Me, Kroger Tomato Basil Sauce Calories, Samsung Service Bulletin, Tuborg Gold Beer Near Me, Layered Strawberry Angel Food Cake Dessert, Why Is A Knowledge-rich Curriculum Important,